• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Brave Little Toyota ...REBUILDING...

Guest RobertMcC

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chances on finding a automatic Toyota Diesel, Hilux or Surf around here be well hard or very $$$, I know they exist. Last Hilux Surf (4runner) i seen forsale was well over 7000$ in manual, so why i'm leaning towards using the VW diesel, because I can get parts easy. But limits me using a automatic transmission and I haven't seen a semi manual transmission in years...

My buddy was like why dont you put a hydro handbrake, allow you to operate the gas/clutch with your feet and use the handbrake to crawl up ( riding the brakes so your not overshooting and too much throttle ) and would allow me to load up the engine.

I had my SAS done by a good friend of mine here on the South Shore. He does alot of them, really sweet lookin rigs! He buys/junks and builds them all the time. I'm not sure what he would charge you to have to done, but if you want his #, pm me and I will fill you in with more info.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny i was looking at that when it was forsale in Moncton 2 weeks earlier.

No i didn't Scott, I want to pick up a less rusty rear end soon and bunch of other parts before I toss the lift on. But like I get the ugly rockers fixed soon. Sure give ya the rugged look, but I really need to get on it soon.

I'm actually working on getting it registered down here.

• 3 months later...

Did some suspension work, Installed those tires...

Ordered a new axle, new rear springs, new struts and spring and a better lift kit. Everything should be in next week or the following and installed ASAP..

Starting to become a big boy..

Before

383992_10151243128856241_1389743123_n.jp

AFTER

63040_10151565067501241_1116483951_n.jpg

I cannot wait to put the new springs and lift in it. Springs will bring it back to what it should be.

I did a base measurement 3 years ago before it was wheeled hard, when I was running 265/70R16 and ground to fender lip, up the center of the hub was 35.5", Today it was 35" with the 265/75R16

In theory it should be around 36.5"

Be nice to gain the ground clearance...

Warn 33025 hitch is being ordered. Its a bolt on front hitch 2" receiver, rated for 9500lbs, 1/3rd the cost of a custom bumper. Allows me to run a winch if I want ( which can be store in cab ) less weight. Also works as a central tow point and extended for side pulls.

and when which not installed this will be...

Claymore-Mine-Hitch-Cover-2011.jpg

Archived