• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

New Trail Exploration

JKWhoo!

So there was some discussion at the meeting tonight of new trails being needed. I'm sure you've all noticed, our existing trail list has grown shorter and shorter every year as development, loss of access ect take trails away from us. Consequently the trails we do have access to have seen heavier and heavier use, which often leads to loss of access, and of course overall boredom.

So we need some fresh mud. I have had a few spots simmering on the back burner for a few years now. The first couple years I owned my Jeep, myself and a friend took it upon ourselves to map out as much as we could between the Villa in BeaverBank (yes I spell it the old way) and where the 354 crosses the #14 by Rawdon Gold Mines, along with a side project to get from Kinsac Rd to 9 mile river without touching pavement (doable, did it, but not a club friendly thing).

Anyways, I have 3 spots in mind that I'm going to set up exploration runs for over the next few weeks to couple months. First up is this Sunday.

We're going to go in Sandy Lake Rd in Beaver Bank, from there I know a marked ATV trail that runs for some distance, and eventually brings you out behind the new windmills in BeaverBank. From there, well, I used to easily know the way to hook onto the powerline, and run an extended section heading towards Renfrew. These days the roads are all switched around up there with the windmills, but we should still be able to find and get onto the powerline easily enough. The general plan at that point is to make our way on the powerline all the way up to Renfrew, and if we can, find our way to horsepower hill and granddaddy hill.

I would post a few maps, but honestly the first section is just a big green void on the map. I know the trail is there, but it doesn't show on google earth, or backcountry nav.

Anyways, I'm planning on being at the Wilsons on BeaverBank Rd @ 9am. If you're planning on joining up, make sure to come prepared for a full day in the woods. Bring water, food, bug spray ect. We're not going to be traveling well known club trails, so the going may be slow, involve back tracking, winching and long periods squinting at topographical maps.

Oh, and please post up if you're coming so we can get an idea how many people might be showing up. As it is an exploration run we obviously can't have 15-20 rigs along and all.

Okay, I have woken up with the flu. I'm going to have to postpone this one guys. Which may be a good thing anyways. A week gives a bit more prep time. So as of now I'm going to push this out a week to Sunday the 14th.

Hey, I'm still going out tomorrow. Sucks that your sick, get well soon. I picked tomorrow to wheelin because its easy to get to the trail with my bent rim. Anyone who is still planning to go out just post up. Still planning on leaving same time and location.

Go out if you like, though I wasn't doing so much a general trail ride as specifically scouting new locations and getting gpix tracks for the purpose of getting pids to check land ownership and what not for possible new club trails. This still will be a thing next weekend for those interested in helping with that.

boys ill be in there too, just might be meeting up on the trail somewhere, 9am is a little too early and far awaay for me to be in beaverbank..I'll be heading in to Renfrew tomorrow from another direction before 11am and hope to see you's on the trail

You are absolutely right Jay!

I'm going to see how far into it i can get tomorrow after work.

I am fully confidant in my ability to take it apart. The tricky bit will be putting it back together.

YouTube will be my new best friend for a while.

Archived