• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

just joined

burdman

What are you running for axles and transfer case

The pics show 6-bolt axles, that would be GM 1/2 Ton 10-bolt front and rear. They won't stand up to 40" tires off-road!

The transfer case would be a NP208 chain drive case with an automatic, but with a manual I don't know...

when i go bigger all 3/4 and 1 ton gear is going underneath, all the axles are heavy duty, everything is sealed water proof.

its all half ton at the moment but it wont be for long.

i saw your burbon around man i was trying to chase that thing down to buy it for a year then i saw it got some work done and gave up lol. nice burbon.

as it is now it will go anywhere do anything and i only have 33s on

Here is my experience. I ran 33s with the 10-bolt (1/2 ton) axles. I did a little bit of rough stuff and a lot of 'fireroads'. I broke the rear axleshafts twice because I had the factory Gov-Lock / limited slip. I never broke any front axleshafts.

So I put on GM Heavy Duty 3/4 Ton axles. (4:11 ratio) Which is a 1-Ton 14-bolt full-floater rear, and a GM-10 Bolt front with 8-lug spindles/hubs. And moved up to 35s.

And put a Detroit in the back. Well, I'm not going to break that rear with a worn-out 350, and I never broke any axleshafts in the front (which means no rock-crawling). But I couldn't keep front locking hubs in 'er, nor ball joints, and then the pinion bearing went, and another set of wheel bearings. (Swerved all over the road!). So I sold the 10-bolt even with all that bad stuff!

I changed the front to a Dana 60 (1 Ton, 4:56 ratio) and have not had any problems! And someday I'll put the matching rear with 4:56 in as well! With the rear locker

and Krawlers and ATs (37s) I don't use 4WD all that much, I do more 'fireroads' and light wheelin' than rock crawlin', so I haven't had an issue with two different ratios as long as it's in mud or snow.

Hope that helps!

you do the same as i do man fire roads and mudd holes, maybe a bit of powerline.

ill probably go 1 ton its the same work as 3/4 and i hate braking things so.

the 350 in my truck is wound rite out, i only have a two berrol carb and it will still slam your head into the back window every time lol.

let me know next time you go ill come.

Archived