• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

New "lurker"

jbacon

I am new to the offroad world (save a bit of ATV playing)

I own a 2007 Toyota FJ cruiser

Nothing special to it yet, want to do some skid plates and such, along with a 3" lift just to stand out some, and other then that im going to "borrow" other peoples ideas on good modifications to do.

dMWNqBj.jpg

This is her a couple weeks ago in the snow (in the drive way)

I'm from the halifax area, and i do want to get out and do some off-roading but want to make sure to start easy and work my way up (build my experience)

Oh it has the off-road package (locking rear diff and A-trac) Its got a nice set of tires installed on it so i should be okay in some easy to medium levels none of that crazy stuff.

Well that sounds perfect, would i need a passanger for the fun runs... For some odd reason i dont think the fiance is going to be down with the off-road world. Yet she did promise to go for a spin in the woods sometime.

When is the next fun run coming up? and where do i find the details on the forum?

ahhh I hear you...Tracey and the kids don't like the dirt either LOL

...no you don't need a passenger on club runs....there's always somebody around to help if you need a spotter/tug

Club runs are typically monthly - the next run is on the 10th and it's a new trail to the club - it'll be a stock do-able but narrow one - if you're precious about your clearcoat ;)

you'll be fine especially with that off-road package and bit of air out of the tires :)

I dont think that means "branch guard" :smiley-transport027:

I do want to get a bush guard for the front as well.

are you planning on being there? I will have to do some research on what to run the tires at.

I was talking to the guy i bought it from about it and they arent actually side steps they serve a dual function apparently they are rock guards, according to the guy. I will look into it and see how much work is involved. They dont offer much in the way of a step they are poor height( to close to same as inside the FJ floor height)

What kinda equiptment do i need for the fun run, ive been reading the fun run safety stuff.

I am pretty sure i have frame mounted tow/recovery points on the front as for the back, what should i use. I have a stock hitch mounted to my frame. If i get one of the princess auto hitch to shackle recievers would that be sufficent? or is there something else i should look into?

Thank you for any and all advice!

The PA hitch to shackle receiver is perfect. I prefer the solid 2" x 2" square bar and shackle, some folks prefer one of the other ones. That and a recovery strap for the weight of your vehicle from PA as well is all that you need to start off-roadin' with others. For yourself, an axe and a round mouth shovel are always a good idea!

The PA hitch to shackle receiver is perfect. I prefer the solid 2" x 2" square bar and shackle, some folks prefer one of the other ones. That and a recovery strap for the weight of your vehicle from PA as well is all that you need to start off-roadin' with others. For yourself, an axe and a round mouth shovel are always a good idea!

Thank you very much i will get to PA as soon as i get back and get the those couple things! Thank you!

Welcome aboard!! Jonathan (e36m3) also has an FJ, and he's in the process of upgrading his. He'd be a good one to talk to.

The club runs are stock friendly/doable, but can have some pretty narrow spots, so you will get pinstriping.

Other than the monthly club runs, there are usually a few other runs per month that the members will post up either on the Facebook page, or in the trail rides section. Not all those runs will be stock friendly, but if you ask about the trail, you'll get feedback on whether or not your rig should try it.

You will be surprised where your rig will take you though, even stock. For recovery gear, just as Eugene (sar4x4) said, a Recovery strap (not tow strap) and hitch to shackle from PA will do you just fine starting out. If you find you really enjoy this, and want to take your rig out more, than you can start upgrading your recovery gear. No sense dropping over $100 on a kinetic recovery rope at the start and finding out it's not for you.

A good, stock friendly trail to try for your first run would be the Pipeline. It's probably one of the easiest runs you can go on.

Hey welcome to the board! Unfortunately there are no maps on the forum for trails. We dont post any trail locations or maps due to some reasons I have sent you a PM about. Love the look of the FJ, you have some good people to ask questions too on here, and hope to see you on the trail!

easiest way to know if you have rock sliders is by looking under your truck. if they are mounted to your actual rockers ( bolted on the floor ) take those off. if they are bolted on your frame, keep those. i destroyed my sidesteps in about 2 weeks haha.

you will find that it will be really capable once you get used to offroading, what tires do you have and what size? what lift kit do you have?

if you really plan on offroading, look into a breather relocation kit. that will keep the water out of your diff, t-case and tranny.

have you tried A-trac and locking the diff in 4LO at the same time, i heard that it cant be done on 07 fj cruisers. if you have any questions dont hesitate. i m also in the process of building skid plates for my truckif thats something that could interest you. i ll post pics next week of what i ve done. i m also doing the body mount chop to fit 285/75/17 toyo M/T( 34x11.5 roughly )

and yes your truck comes with one tow hooks in the front and rear

Welcome to the forum B) .

Those steps on your FJ (if the same chrome ones in your picture) are NOT functional rock sliders. They will only protect your rocker panels from slush and the odd pebble thrown off your tires. Toyota did or does offer as as add-on actual rock sliders that are actual steel tube, with steps on them as well.

easiest way to know if you have rock sliders is by looking under your truck. if they are mounted to your actual rockers ( bolted on the floor ) take those off. if they are bolted on your frame, keep those. i destroyed my sidesteps in about 2 weeks haha.

you will find that it will be really capable once you get used to offroading, what tires do you have and what size? what lift kit do you have?

if you really plan on offroading, look into a breather relocation kit. that will keep the water out of your diff, t-case and tranny.

have you tried A-trac and locking the diff in 4LO at the same time, i heard that it cant be done on 07 fj cruisers. if you have any questions dont hesitate. i m also in the process of building skid plates for my truckif thats something that could interest you. i ll post pics next week of what i ve done. i m also doing the body mount chop to fit 285/75/17 toyo M/T( 34x11.5 roughly )

and yes your truck comes with one tow hooks in the front and rear

I will have a look at the rock sliders when i get home next week (i work away from home)

I haven't tried the Atrac, locking diff in 4lo.

As for the tires i cant remember what i have on it, ive been away far to long, I will have a look at some pictures on my phone and see if i can figure it out.

As for a lift, i currently dont have one but eventually if i decided to continue to play in the woods i am looking at about 3 inchs at most.

Much work to the breather relocation?

not really, the front breathers are hard to get but its not bad. i ll send you a pm with a link to what i have

Good to know, i just read threw your build topic there. it is probably somthing that i will end up doing eventually again, depends on if i stick to playing in the woods.

Is the run on May 10 rookie friendly? or should i wait for the "pipeline" run?

You should be fine on the run on May 10, as long as you have no problems with branches rubbing the sides of your FJ. Check out the Back Country 4x4 Facebook page and you can see some videos of from when the guys preran it last weekend.

Archived