• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

tires for rubi-can't

robicon

The rubi-can't needs (wants rather) a new set of tires. I'm looking for a set of 35's but I don't know what I should get due to price...

If money wasn't a issue I'd get a set of super swampers but at 450$ per tire that's more then I can afford at the moment.

Currently riding on 275/75/R17 BFG KM. Not bad tires but I want more clearance and not get stuck like I did last ride out :smiley-laughing021:

I would love to get a set of used military Michelins but the 31/4 lift won't fit 36's. 35 is the max.

I was thinking about getting a body lift but even then I don't know if they would fit. I would rather jack up the JK some more (without buying a bigger lift) and doing some trimming or spacers to make them fit.

Under 1000-1500 I can do. 2250 + tax is out of budget for the time being.

Thoughts?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The tires might help, but I was shown last year that driver technique is more important. I was outdone on a mud hill by a rig with pretty bald tires compared to my brand new ATs. The proper airing down and driver technique can be more effective than big fancy tires in almost all situations.

Your rubicon would make a great down payment on a mall crawler like mine! Kidding! I've got 295/70/17 Toyos and they are awesom. They arnt quite $450 per tire but they arnt far off. They are 12" wide and 33.5" high. Excellent in the mud, and not bad on the road. Also they seem to last quite well. PotatoDigger has a lot of KMs on his and they are holding up.

My neighbor has hankooks on his truck and they look super aggressive, they also have a lot of KMs in them and appear to be holding up well.

Size isn't everything, if you go from a 33" to a 35" your only gaining an inch but your adding a lot of lbs and removing some mechanical advantage. The larger you go the more painful it becomes as a daily driver.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

There is a link to help you with fitment as well. You can enter your current tire and wheel and offset and see what you need to do to make larger tires work.

It calmed my nerves when I ordered a size larger than "the Internet experts" were putting on 4th generation 4Runners.

Good info thanks guys. I like the look of the mud claws! I will call around tomorrow. It is my primary rig but I now work from home when I'm in NS or off to the airport flying out to the next job. KMs will be quite low moving forward.

called a few places and even went to buy a set of claws for 290 a pop. Got there and he ended up already selling them to someone else last week and forgot. :mad:

More calling around I've decided to try out the Hercules trail diggers. At almost half the price of the swampers... Should get them tomorrow! Set of 5. Buying 4 for what we do is just asking for trouble!

33_12_50_15_Hercules_004.jpg

Now I need to buy a set of black steelies. Not sure what size I should get to fit 315/75/16. 16x10 or 16x12 or what? Anyone want to sell me some? Tired of the stock 17's with the 125$ valve stem sensor. Already cracked one off.

Please advise!

Should only need a 16x8 rim, I had 265 tires on a factory rim, 16x10 at the most, I remember seeing somewhere that even though a tire is 12.5 wide you wont need a 12.5 wide rim because the bead of the tire is not that wide. Someone will correct me if I am wrong :) Call CVO and APJ for price on basic steel rims, should be no more than 100 bucks each new for 16's

Yup I wouldn't go any wider than 8" or 9" wide wheel.

The valve stem has nothing to do with the wheel either - that's the TPMS sensor which you will have to put into any wheel you buy... or disable it (illegal) or live with the glowing orange light on your dash (not sure if this will pass safety).

110 a piece form cvo and apj. problem is they can't get them till next week sometime. I want to use em this weekend. I'm like a little kid at xmas. I want em today!

any other ideas? been calling quite a few places and it's the same story. Didn't think it would be this hard. I honestly dont care what they look like. My old man can sandblast and paint them for me no problem.

A 12.5" tire is 12.5" at the middle of the tire, the 'section width'. The tread is narrower and the bead is much narrower. In general, they used to say the rim should be no wider than 2" less than the section width I believe. A 12.5" wide tire shoud be on 8-10" wide rim. It depends on how much bulge you like in the tire. BTW, Nice looking tires!

Went with 315/75/16's. I'm just going to leave em out and deal with the orange light in the dash. ******** annoying! Then disable it with a super chip.

I can't see it failing a safety because I dont have the sensors? Many vehicles don't have em. Even my old 2007 JK didn't have em.

Went with 315/75/16's. I'm just going to leave em out and deal with the orange light in the dash. ******** annoying! Then disable it with a super chip.

I can't see it failing a safety because I dont have the sensors? Many vehicles don't have em. Even my old 2007 JK didn't have em.

2008 and up were Federally mandated to have TPMS in Canada. It is now law that new vehicles have to have them.

Archived