• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

...And So It Continues...

Eastcoastcam

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I was making the other night is this...

IMG492.jpg

What is it? Well pair it up with this bottle jack...

IMG493.jpg

and use as a press...

IMG494.jpg

IMG495.jpg

Here's a couple of my welds... they are not pretty like alot of you guys, but you started somewhere too!

But they held with alot of pressure on them from the jack, so I'm happy with it for now.

IMG499.jpg

IMG500.jpg

Pointers to better welds are welcome though ;)

No :( !! I haven't been able to get the stupid cotter pin out so I could turn the bolt off (stupid Heep!! :mad: ). I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to use a BFH to knock it out either. Sometimes I hate working on my own s***, when it doesn't work in my favour, but I guess it is how we learn. Anyone who has dealt with removing the trac bar want to pop out some night this week ;) ?

No :( !! I haven't been able to get the stupid cotter pin out so I could turn the bolt off (stupid Heep!! :mad: ). I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to use a BFH to knock it out either. Sometimes I hate working on my own s***, when it doesn't work in my favour, but I guess it is how we learn. Anyone who has dealt with removing the trac bar want to pop out some night this week ;) ?

Cotter pin.... ( option 1 ) SIMPLE cut the excess off so you can get a socket on it, break out the breaker bar, ADD 3 feet and giver. Snap the cotter pin, then use a punch to drive it out. Had to do that on the 4runner because I couldn't get the cotter pin out for the lower ball joint off and it snapped at the end allowing me nothing to grab onto ( option 2 ) Or set of side cutters and pry it out, but prolly too late for that now. So back to option 1.

If you need a hand James, Let me know, I'm free.

Used to work for the government as a mechanic and vechs like to sit, so ALLways had to break out the big tools to fix them...

• 2 weeks later...

The Rubi springs measure the same as a TJ spring. They may be a bit stiffer but not much. I think you would be far better off putting a budget boost in. The 2" spacers cost only $50 a pair. If you do still decide to go with the Rubi springs don't buy them as I have a set here you can have.

Daren

iv been told that for tj's that coils for a 98 grand cheerke give some lift only around 2 inchs i beliive but more the ruby springs

The coils from a V8 ZJ will give about 3" of lift. When I swapped out my springs, I actually took OUT Rubicon coils and swapped in another set. :P !! I found this out last winter (over a year later, lol!) When I checked the part # on my "stock" springs for somebody!

I will be removing my spacers and swapping in some longer springs hopefully soon. I still need a few bits and pieces still though.

• 1 month later...

that looks like a really intense picture! how did the install go? manage to get those stuck bolts out?

They're out, with a little help from the grinder. There was no way to get them out and reuse them. Heep is sitting at home, waiting for new LCA axle end bolts & washers. Got to drill a hole and install rear trac bar bracket and reinstall trac bar to it. Also, install TC drop (thanks, Daren ;) ). I hope to get the required bolts for the front today or tomorrow. Planning to have it done for the weekend (or before, hopefully :) ).

It sits a full 2 inches taller than before. When I get longer shocks I think I am going to reinstall the spacers on the front to level 'er off :) , as there is exactly 1.75" rake front to back.

The pic above is me pushing with almost everything I've got with my foot to undo the Frame side bolt on the LCA. It was like that on the other side too. We never really took many pics, but there will be a few added, plus some "after" pics. We completely forgot the "before" ones untill the front was already apart, lol!

Got back to finishing off the Heep tonight. Finished up the front tonight, and started on the final touches to the back (trac bar relocation).

Here are the few pics I got from the process so far...

The coils... a bit taller than the old, with the spacer. Heavier spring, more coils... :P

post-480-0-99905400-1350366795_thumb.jpg

Scott wrestling with the coil to get it in there...

post-480-0-05710600-1350366850_thumb.jpg

Hmmm... What next???

post-480-0-13552300-1350366919_thumb.jpg

We gave up Saturday nite, when the cam bolts in the LCAs did NOT want to come out... then Sunday, with a little help from the grinder, we got 'em out! ...And they looked like this...

post-480-0-45250700-1350366983_thumb.jpg

So Monday after work, I stopped in to see Bill at APJs and got these :)

post-480-0-20054900-1350367049_thumb.jpg

LCAs in...

post-480-0-51669300-1350367113_thumb.jpg

Cam bolts lined up to the same mark on each side, making the proper castor (I think :P !!)

post-480-0-80740500-1350367189_thumb.jpg

On to the back... up on stands again, tires off... remove trac bar...

post-480-0-21989500-1350367276_thumb.jpg

You can also see in the above pic, we removed the rear sway bar as well while we were under the Jeep on Saturday.

A couple of pics sittin' on the front wheels. May be a bit lower when it's let off the stands in the back, when I am done the tracbar bracket tomorrow nite.

post-480-0-40777600-1350367341_thumb.jpg post-480-0-57873000-1350367409_thumb.jpg

Here is one with me next to it for height comparison...

post-480-0-70830000-1350367907_thumb.jpg

I had to call it a night, when my drill bit broke :( . Hopefully I have one at work, which I will look for. If not, anybody got a 1/2in drill bit?

Archived