• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Which colour, Black or Desert Sand?

sar4x4

Background

On older era vehicles there is a upper soft vinyl dash pad, and the lower dash is metal. We don't all drive new stuff! lol

My Burb was DFO green, with the typical 80's beige vinyl and plastic interior trim. Fugly to say the least. When I got it the dash pad was well cracked

from UV. I filled the dash pad cracks with glue and painted the pad with black vinyl paint over 10 years ago. And it still looks great!

The black pad went well with any other colours. With the truck recently trending yellow and black (I may have to call her 'School Bus') it still fits.

Now I have the Scout dash pad. Cracked and stained. The exterior is factory dark brown. And the interior is a mix of medium browns and blacks.

Brown dash pad, black lower dash. Black mats, bucket seats, centre console and 'roll bar'. The interior door handles are medium brown and well faded and stained also.

But, the only suitable vinyl paint colours I can find are black and light desert sand. No medium brown. Lots of burgundy, blue, charcoal gray, hmm.

Thoughts?

post-247-0-69862000-1437000810_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-93234600-1437000819_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-26443700-1437000828_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-12656600-1437000836_thumb.jpg

I think I may have an interior picture with me. I'll look and edit if so.

I vote for desert sand as well! I think it would have all the same benefits as black; it is just as neutral to match any other int/ext colour (current or future), likely wears as easily (as far as cleaning and not showing minor grime like fingerprints), and I think it would make a sharp transition between the exterior dark brown and interior black. Where the rest of the interior isn't entirely black (ex: door handles as you mentioned) I feel like you need a colour that marries both that and the dark brown on the outside to the black seats and center console.

Think of the view using the dash as a midpoint - forward is the sand of the dash pad and dark brown of the hood, backward is the sand of the dash and the black of the center console. I think it would match better than dark brown on black directly (even if one of those colours is outside and one inside).

That was probably way longer and more convoluted than it had to be :P so yeah.. um.. 1 vote for desert sand, haha

Archived