• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Looking for a Wrangler!

Nightpath

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might have a bit of lucky, found this one in my travels (not advertised) :

2005 2 door Rocky Mountain edition, about 120k KM on it but the gauge cluster needs to be replaced. 6 speed standard, inline 6. Not a lot of rust at all but it does have a minor lift. Has 3 engine codes (basically had a lean condition at one point and threw another related code for the catalytic converter, seen this before) as well as one to do with an undervoltage to nothing important. Will need lower arm bushings replaced, possibly new shocks as well.

Some minor customization to it, some of nature's finest pinstriping, needs repair to the soft top, and new tires. Slipping out of gear a few times was mentioned as well.

They are asking $9000, was told by a garage to ask for $10k. I told them to remove the customized parts that nobody cares for (think of decals on a Civic that someone claims means its customized), the tires that are worn (on name brand pricey as hell rims which cost enough in themselves) and a few more things, and I would give them straight up cash. Told them to sell those things separate and they'd more than make their asking price.

I've seen several Jeeps in this same category, similar specs and KM, some stock or with minor lifts, some with a bit more mileage and a second set of rims, and most people are asking $5500-6500 which I think is fair.

So, with the information in hand, what would be a fair offer? I did make one, which I think was fair, and it was a cash offer, no cheques no BS. Just want to see what you guys think.

Lol yep. Engine codes were for a lean condition detected at the catalytic converter, high voltage on the same sensor which I believe is the o2 sensor, and one for low voltage to the a/c which could have been caused by a loose wire or getting wet.

Word to that. If the codes cleared and stayed away I might take a 2nd look. I'll have to get a hold of them again to get them to clear the codes.

Still on the hunt though...nobody seems to answer calls or emails, or kijiji ads. Grrr

Holy rolling rust heaps. Checked out 5 jeeps today. All claimed to have been mint and kept undercoated.

Each one had massive scales of rust, panel rot and with one I literally sat in it and my feet went through the floor.

O m g

What heaps of garbage

Price check on aisle 7.
2005 TJ Rocky Mountain 6 speed standard, inline 6. 110k km. Needs a new o2 sensor. Rear dana 44, big old skid plate under it. Similar to the other I posted, could stand a couple bushings. Minimal rust.

3 tops (hard,bikini and soft to that needs zipper fixed),2 sets of tires (5 x D ick Cepek 12.5" wide rims but needs 2 tires replaced...I prefer stock rims anyway so I'd sell them). 2nd set are on stock rims. Had some custom junk on it that I'd remove as well.

Price is $8000, lowest I could get

Worth it?

So I found a Wrangler, it's one of the ones I mentioned above.

2005 TJ - Rocky Mountain Edition - not wheeled nor rusted (woot)

About 115K km on it (odometer doesn't work, but the computer stores the mileage)

Needs 2 o2 sensors replaced

Needs a few bushings replaced (nothing serious, just getting a tad worn), and the body mount bushings replaced (has a 1.5" body lift...I hate body lifts)

2 sets of tires, 1 good, the other set needs 2 tires replaced.

3 tops

I made the initial offer of a lowball figure, declined, then looked at it again. After going through most of Western N.S., having friends scout out just about everywhere between Cape Breton and home, I figure the price I'll be paying is worth it. Bar none, every one I have looked at has had severe rust issues either on the frame, body or both, and they were adamant at $6500 for the most part, with higher KM. On the lot, ones like this are going for $2000 more than what I'm paying for the same year and less goodies with it.

For $1000 more, I get more with the Jeep, it's clean, nice running, and not beat to snot. However, when I sell the 12.5" wide Dick Cepek rims and the 3rd top I should be more than in the clear.

When I pick it up I'll have to shine it up and toss up a picture or 2.

Archived