• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

new tires, opinions on a bias ply tire?

My04T4R

I am about ready to purchase five new tires, they are going to be mounted on seperate rims and will be driven mostly on the trail, i will retain the yokohama m/t's and the nokian studded winters for any long trips, the tire in question is an interco super swamper tsl/SX bias ply tire in size 32x11.5/r16 they appear to be the proverbial brick shithouse of sidewall and tread strengths in an off road tire, does anyone have any experience with this tire or a bias ply tire?

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/ict-sam-78

Sam

why not 33s ?go big or go home :P

all i heard was they are hard to balance, but are perfect for offroading. tons of grip in mud and rocks. loud as hell on the street. i have a couple friends that have them, in 35 inch and more on jeeps, and they all love them. they also barely drive the trucks on the street anymore as they have other daily drivers.

Have experience from my younger days. Had a set of Yokohama MT's that were bias ply and swore I'd never go back. They were my all year set, so take that into consideration. The old Nissan 720 had enough vibrations & shakes as it was...running the bias ply certainly made for interesting travel for the first 5 or so minutes in the summer, and almost 15 on the cold winter days.

Why not 33s dont want to go any bigger, it fits nicely in the stock spare location, and im getting better mileage with 32s than with the stock 31s. Im leaning towards this tire because all the reviews say this is the strongest tire you can buy.

Flat spots?

Yep. But if they are a dedicated trail set, you wont be worried about that too much...

That's also the advantage of a bias ply tire; they flex more. As with any mod to a rig, there are pro's & con's. You almost always have to give up something for something in return.

I would go with a 33"x10.5". If they are going to be a trail set, I would go with the biggest you can fit, as mileage is not going to be an issue with them. Bias ply will flat spot when left sitting, but it will work it's way out. It won't be too bad though if they are not holding up the weight of the truck during those periods, I would imagine.

If you arent going to be running them daily, get the most aggressive, bullet proof tire you can. The boggers as James mentioned will work awesome, I have heard good things about Swampers as well as an off road tire.

unless i had a truck that only went to mud bugs and ran swamps all weekend, i dont see the point in getting boggers

here is a video made by a good friend back home and a lot of them use the TSL bias. they go on what they call "the big trail" each year. they follow the power lines in northern quebec for a 7 day trip :)

if i'm not sailing next summer, i'll be the first toyota and also first IFS to attempt the trail

If your toyota survives that trail I will be thoroughly impressed with their IFS system. From the video I would doubt it makes it through.

Sam, I can understand just wanted to be sure all information was provided. It seems you have already made your mind up on getting them, go for it, and enjoy them on your off road adventures.

Archived