• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

new tires, opinions on a bias ply tire?

My04T4R

Well ill give u what know, I had a set of 36" tsl radials, not too bad on the road but difficult to balance, good as any mud terrain in the slop, my 38"tsls were fricken awesome everywhere but the road, felt like was riding on octagons! Hope that helps :)

i spoke with my buddy back home, he has 37s tsl bias on his jeep ( they are more like a 36 ) and says they are awesome in the woods, really really stiff even when deflated. he has beadlocks so he goes down to around 8psi. on the road, well, he says they are horrible and since he works up in northern quebec, he'll buy a diesel dodge to haul the rig this year.

Have experience from my younger days. Had a set of Yokohama MT's that were bias ply and swore I'd never go back. They were my all year set, so take that into consideration. The old Nissan 720 had enough vibrations & shakes as it was...running the bias ply certainly made for interesting travel for the first 5 or so minutes in the summer, and almost 15 on the cold winter days.

Can you chime in a bit more on this as you are the only one who seems to support this for an on the road tire, I will be driving it around town and trail with the bias ply's but for long trips switch back to the radials... any reason not to go for a bias ply? as im going to pull the trigger on these pretty soon..

thanks

what my buddy told me is they are hard to balance, he gets a some vibration in the steering at highway speeds, lots of noise, doesnt turn great. he still drives the truck to the trail and then back. like i said, his tires are a lot bigger than what you are looking, so it shouldnt be as bad.

it really doesnt take more than 30 minutes to switch the tires so i dont see why you just wouldnt put the geolanders and spend a bit of time installing the TSls when you go on a trail. a lot of people drive them on the road.

Iannick ( flipflop ) on here had 38s on his and was daily driving his TJ

Archived