• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

maitland,hayes caves

simon

Watch Hayes Cave if you go inside this time of year, a lot of heaving has been going on and portions of it can collapse with all the fluctuations in temperature and rain.

Where are the Maitland Caves?

You wouldn't get through it if you found it Bill ...it was tight for me to fit through 20 years ago... :P

Very true James. I barely fit through 20 years ago as well...I don't think I'd fit through today! Extremely vertical and a long drop if you slip.

IIRC, it take about 45-50 minutes from the entrance to the exit, but the cave continues for about 15 minutes beyond the exit point. I have a friend who is an expert in bats and frequents the cave many times a year. I'll ask him for more info to see what things are like today.

Very true James. I barely fit through 20 years ago as well...I don't think I'd fit through today! Extremely vertical and a long drop if you slip.

IIRC, it take about 45-50 minutes from the entrance to the exit, but the cave continues for about 15 minutes beyond the exit point. I have a friend who is an expert in bats and frequents the cave many times a year. I'll ask him for more info to see what things are like today.

He would probably know a friend of mine's wife, who is doing her PHD studying bats... I guess she is the Batgirl... :P !

Archived