• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

iOS GPS Apps (or other?)

autumnwalker

What are you guys using for iOS GPS apps these days? I used to use Motion-X ... it's still around, but it was never "great" for 4x4ing. It recorded and exported a GPX file which was good enough at the time.

I've been looking at GAIA GPS, but have not done any more than research at this point.

I still use Motion-X in the field on my phone.  And/or use my GARMIN GPS.  And then I have one download and a few mapping applications.  But most of it is stone-tablet stuff.  But it works solid! lol

So I really can't offer much help.  I'll go away now.. 🙂

3 minutes ago, autumnwalker said:

Doesn't appear to have an iOS version. What do you like about that app?

It's fast and allows map AND satellite tile caching. It's been a solid performer on Droid for a long time.

I have bought other apps, like Backcountry Navigator and Viewpoint, but Canada Topo Maps has been better overall.

20 minutes ago, autumnwalker said:

Doh! I confused "Canada Topo" with the app @ovrlndr mentioned.

@sar4x4, do you mean "Topo Maps Canada"?

I believe it's Topo Maps Canada.  It just says 'Canada' under the icon.  With a red maple leaf logo superimposed over a Topo map.

The Information button is all about how to use it, no author mentioned anywhere!  It has map tiles, and you want to download the tiles you need before you get too deep into the woods, lol.

Maybe I'll look it up again on the 'App Store'..........

2 hours ago, autumnwalker said:

That's the one! Thanks @sar4x4!When do you flip between MotionX and Topo Maps Canada? The map looks better on Topo (I think?).

I'm used to saving Track and Waypoint files better on Motion X.  Then export them as GPX files via e-mail.  And I often use imagery on Motion X.

Topo Canada I like for an 'old-fashioned' view of a Topo map.   The text is not too cluttered, contour lines, lake names, etc all show well.  Easy to read.

Archived