• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

How tight lug nuts?

sar4x4

Seasonal tire changeover on Deb's Suburau.  I know I'm not the strongest person but they were on tight.  

I wasn't doing this at my brothers garage with a big cross-bar wrench.  

Started using a 'Jet' brand wrench as leverage.  Albeit that wrench wasn't designed to take force in that direction, it bent quickly. And I was quite scared something was going to break!

So I used the trailer ball mount from the Scout.  Still wondering if the wrench or the stud was going to break!

In a situation like this is an impact wrench better than brute force leverage?

You'll notice I took the locking lug nut off first.

image.jpeg 

image.jpeg

I usually use my torque wrench, and set it at 90 ft/lb when putting the lugs on.  Were those changed at a shop?  I've had to use cheater pipes on breaker bars before to remove lug nuts put on by a shop.

Yup, put on by a shop after some brake work.  No mere mortal was going to change those on the side of the road.  'Jumping' or standing on a wheel wrench is asking for trouble.

I'll feel like I'm getting old but once married I'll be on Deborah's CAA and we'll use their services!  I've been with her and we had to use them, something about lack of fuel..........

I understand them using impacts to put them on because of how fast they are, but I really wish they'd actually take the time to properly torque them with a torque wrench.  Time is money though. :( 

I've bounced on a breaker bar more than once to get lug nuts loose ... I have also twisted off a couple of GM 2500HD studs in the process. I think it's luck of the draw when using leverage.

Make sure you torque to manufacturer spec - some cars are low (Miata is ~ 65 lb/ft) and some are insane (H2 was > 140 lb/ft).

6 minutes ago, autumnwalker said:

Make sure you torque to manufacturer spec - some cars are low (Miata is ~ 65 lb/ft) and some are insane (H2 was > 140 lb/ft).

Good point!  I said 90 as that's what mine are spec'd at.  Should have mentioned that. :) 

On 20/05/2016 at 8:52 PM, autumnwalker said:

I've bounced on a breaker bar more than once to get lug nuts loose ... I have also twisted off a couple of GM 2500HD studs in the process. I think it's luck of the draw when using leverage.

I usually torque according to thread pitch and stud size and #of studs. Our Ford f150's have a torque rating of 140ftlbs, but that is too much for the 6 studs with an aluminum rim. On a few occasions, once the rim has warmed up and expanded it sheared all 6 studs at the same time, the lugs and broken studs were captured in the center caps. Yes these are work trucks, the first thought it was isolated event, second time thought there was a problem with the torque wrench, third time was WTF IS GOIN ON?. There was no fourth time, started torquing @120 ftlbs and no more issues. Usually any 1/2" x20 stud with aluminum rim I torque @ 95ftlbs, steel rim same stud gets 100lbs. I won't go into the list , but some little cars and 4 lug cars are low , like 70ftlbs. I torque the F-650 lugs to 450ftlbs. Here is my torque wrench

1463965516043-87305384.jpg

Archived