• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

My 05 Rubi build. Slow like a 4.0

derekmac

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Jawritch said:

Must be the ratcheting style cap? I've broken like 3 or 4 on my Jeep.

Yep it is.  Went to take it off, and snap snap snap, and the top came off, lol.  Maybe I'll see if I can find one that's not a ratcheting type so this doesn't happen again. 

For the price, I figured they were worth a shot. I've only heard good so far, but haven't been able to find too many reviews. 

As soon as I get home, I'm going to start switching them over. Unless it's raining, since my changer is in the backyard, lol. 

Well, I have to say I'm very impressed with these tires on the highway. They are extremely quiet, and ride very nice. I still need to figure out the best tire pressure for them, and I'll try the chalk test for that. I have 28psi in them now.

The only thing...... I had a slight vibration at highway speed, and I thought it was because my old tires were worn out. Well, these have the exact same vibration, at the exact same speeds. It's not a constant vibration, and I can't feel it in the steering wheel (steering wheel doesn't vibrate, or shake back and forth). The road can be straight and flat, and it'll start to vibrate for a bit, then stop. Hitting bumps doesn't seem to start or affect it if it's already vibrating. I'm going to try the stock Rubi rims with Toyo AT's tomorrow, in case it could be one of my rims causing it. Though I did change them front to back with the old tires on them, and it didn't change it at all... 

If it does it with the stock rims, I'll start looking at the suspension to see if anything is loose or worn.

Always look at the steering and suspension.  And the steering.  And the steering.  Yes, I repeated that on purpose!

Ball joints, tie rod ends, drag link ends, steering box bolts, steering column bearings.

AND driveshafts......................... lol  Especially without proper unlocking hubs, that front drive shaft and the front axle shafts are always turning!

I am planning on getting it in for an alignment. It does have a slight pull to the left (has for a while), and I don't want uneven wear on my new tires. 

I'm going to try and crawl under this weekend, and see if I can see or feel anything off. 

And wheel bearings...............  mostly the front.  The front wheels and steering are so finely tuned, it is amazing we don't have more problems!

And, oh yeah, if you have a lift...........  driveshaft angles.......... not just bad CV/U-Joints.

Oh, you know the drill, lol.  But I will say this for the sake of everyone.  With the alignment, they will check toe-in, and last but not least, I believe anybody trying to eliminate a vibration is going to say balance the tires.  As much as you say the vibration is the same as before, if you installed them at home without balancing, you have to eliminate everything one item at a time.  I've learned that when someone says "But it can't be because...'  and 'But that's impossible' (especially on TV shows), that it can be, something outside of what they were thinking about.  One of my pet sayings is:  People often tell me 'the map is wrong'.  I don't say a word.  Then a bit later, they say 'Ohhh, I see now'.......... lol

2 hours ago, jay said:

did you bead balanced the the tires ? ...just curious :)

Yep.  I swapped my stock rims/tires on when I got home, and it's still the same vibs at the same speeds.  When the vibs not there, it rides as smooth as glass.

1 hour ago, jay said:

Rig looks cool! Where'd you go?

I was itching to get out today.

Just a quick run back Renfrew Rd.  I was only gone long enough to check the little hill climb (tires worked awesome on it BTW), and check the tire clearance on my flex rock. :) 

57 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

Derek's favourite flex rock,..

Haha, that it is!  It's my go to rock, LOL!!

Archived