• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

"Clunky Junky" - Jawritch's 98 XJ

Jawritch

@sar4x4 thanks! obviously trying to make a build thread for my mostly finished rig things are missed, overlooked, forgotten or deemed not important. so to this point its not as detailed as it could be. i have a bit more to add before the thread is on par with where the jeep is sitting. things like my diff skid or cut fenders. but ill get there. by the way the broom holder mag light mount is pretty slick. neat idea for sure!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I recently upgraded from the spacer lift to full coils. Gained about 1/2" though I wasn't really looking for any extra. These came with the parts jeep when I bought it. As did my tube lca's. You can also see my home brew disco's in the coil pic.20151218_180733.thumb.jpg.185b6ffa0de44320151218_180709.thumb.jpg.4b4dc1cd1cf684

I think that more or less sums up where I'm at to this point. Another little bonus from the parts jeep was this over head console. The factory harness already had the connectors just had to run some wires down from the roof to passenger kick panel. Reads temp, compass, mpg instant, mpg average, distance to empty, hour meter,  and trip 2.

20160204_155737.thumb.jpg.778c5466020b20

21 hours ago, Jawritch said:

@derekmac@sar4x4Definitely steal the idea! Although if you bought a tj you could probably get a sweet roll bar mount Derek! Lol

Oh man, there are SOOO many sweet things you can get for a TJ!!!  

The trimming looks good man!  Did you seal the cut edge to help stop it from rusting?

1 hour ago, e36m3 said:

The truck is coming along real good. I'm looking at getting an xj in 2 years when I get rid  of the FJ. Would be a real serious overlander :) 

The xj would be a great platform for that. Lots of space, rear seats fold flat to the trunk floor, lots of aftermarket support and really capable in stock or near stock form. Downside to an overland xj is a small fuel tank. I get anywhere from 200-250km out of a tank.

1 hour ago, derekmac said:

Oh man, there are SOOO many sweet things you can get for a TJ!!!  

The trimming looks good man!  Did you seal the cut edge to help stop it from rusting?

Tj's and jk's have so ******* many aftermarket accessories and what not. Really allows you to make it your own. And I primed and painted an inch or 2 above the cut, and around into the wheel wells. Not the best but I figure I'll probably trim more when I bump up to a bigger tire. So I'm not super worried about it

4 minutes ago, Jawritch said:

The xj would be a great platform for that. Lots of space, rear seats fold flat to the trunk floor, lots of aftermarket support and really capable in stock or near stock form. Downside to an overland xj is a small fuel tank. I get anywhere from 200-250km out of a tank.

I would add a fuel cell and lots of goodies. I wouldn't have payments on a rig like that and would throw a fortune at it ahaha

Just now, e36m3 said:

I would add a fuel cell and lots of goodies. I wouldn't have payments on a rig like that and would throw a fortune at it ahaha

I saw online somewhere extended range tanks too. They claim the bolt in the factory location and you dont have to cut the trunk. Though I'm sure you wouldn't be able to run a skid plate... unless it was custom

Nah, only on the highway.  WOT to do 110 kph! lol  Off road, with all of my traction and big tires (I know, they're not all that big), I just idle everywhere!  I don't have the power to spin them if I wanted to!  We spent three days in Bowater and I never touched my spare jug!  :biggthumpup:

I sometimes show up to a run with under half a tank, and then run into trouble by the end of the day!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So my volt gauge has been acting up the last couple of days. It would sit on 9v and a check gauges light came on. Sometimes turning the key off then back on would solve it. So I took the cluster out of the parts jeep and installed it. With the new cluster it was reading only 12v running. (And my odometer went from 220k up to almost 300k) sure enough my alternator kicked the bucket. So I upgraded to a 135amp unit from a 318 grand Cherokee. The original was a 90a.

Some new and old shots. The new one was much larger and required some grinding to the alternator bracket to fit.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

I forgot to get a picture installed, I will later

• 2 weeks later...

Busy day for me and clunky. I took my father out to run big Jones on Sunday, he had seen some pictures and wanted to check it out. By time we got home I had nearly chewed through my passenger front brake flex hose! Also got a pretty nasty power steering fluid leak coming from the steering box output seal.IMG_20160425_143651.jpgIMG_20160426_110059.jpg

My brake pads were almost worn out as well so I ordered some fancy gear from Max brakes? Not 100% if that was the company I'd have to double check. So today I installed the new pads, rotors and a new flex hose for the passenger side. Instead of the 94 Chev truck hoses I was using before I switched to 92 Chev van hoses. They're almost identical but the van hoses come off the caliper at a bit better angle.

IMG_20160426_110549.jpg

IMG_20160426_110048.jpg

Archived