• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Gearing for my Eagle with 4.0/AW4

Nightpath

This September I'm finally getting around to transplanting the 4.0l/aw4/231 into my Eagle (or 242 if anyone wants to swap maybe).

Anyways, what are your thoughts on gearing the rear? I'd like to use a 3.07 set for hopefully a bit better mpg, but some people say that too low a gear causes it to not like OD.

A happy medium would probably be 3.2x gears...but was there ever such a thing in jeeps?

Stock for the XJ is 3.54 which is ok, but I found my old xj to be a huge pig (15 mpg all day long).

The Eagle is about 100 pounds or so lighter than the xj, but the xj drivetrain is lighter so the engine will be pulling less overall.

What are your thoughts on gearing?

Tire size. An engine should run something like 2200 rpm on the highway, you can find more details on line. Typically work with 1:1 high gear, not overdrive, and your tire size, that determines your rear end ratio for highway driving.

I think that 3.21 would be the lowest/safest to use possibly, without ruining the rpms. Could be that 3.07 would work, but with a bit larger tires it may cause problems by keeping it in too low of a range.

I ran a cherokee with 235/75/15 tires and 3.07 with a 4.0L and manual trans. It was beautiful on the highway and I think I averaged around 25mpg on a trip to moncton and back. Did not have to downshift on hills, and didnt push it. I was driving around 100km/h which is the other side of mileage. If you drive at 120 on the highway you may get 20mpg out of the 4.0L but it would be a struggle I am guessing.

gears are in your eagle now ,

put the 4.0l motor and tranny in and see whats it like

before you start swap gears and money

and that wait you have a starting point and know what gears you need higher or lower

in my jeep tj 2.5l when it was stock and had 4.10 I got 16 to 18 mpg and now with 4.88 gears and big tires and not stock

I get 24 to 26 mpg

it's all about what rpm your motor works best at and gear it for that

The rear axle has no diff cover, so I was debating gearing it somewhere different. Theres a few 3.07 axles around I could get, but rather than blow the cash first to see how it works I'd rather see if anyone knew.

• 3 weeks later...

I've decided on sticking with the stock XJ parts (including rear axle with the 3.55 since i have the front to match for the Eagle). If I want to up MPG I can get a throttle body spacer, or an upgraded distributor for a hotter spark (which I might)

If I want to adjust for RPM I'll just bump up a tire size or 2 (29" looks good, can fit 31" with some trimming)...make that beyotch look like a kids RC car!

Archived