• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Rookie JK build

Guest JKWhoo!

So as some folks know, I went and bought my first 4x4 last weekend after catching the wheeling bug big time. She's a 2011 Wrangler Sport, due to Jeep nearly giving them away to celebrate their 70th anniversary. The plan for this beast is to get her very off road capable. Lift, tires, winch, lockers, long arms the bloody works.

So what I thought I might do is chronicle the trials and tribulations of a total rookie, who has never worked on 4x4 gear before, as I slowly assemble her into the machine I hope her to someday be!

Here she is, off the lot in bone stock trim

post-560-1301624527_thumb.jpg

And the only current mod, is the removal of the running boards.

post-560-1301625124_thumb.jpg

But! In good news, I went down to CVO on my lunch break today, and picked out a lift, got a deposit on her, and it'll be here within two weeks! She's a 3.25 inch lift from Rough Country. 2.5 inch spring lift with 3/4 inch spacers. Best part, only 397$, shocks included! Way beat out most online prices I could find for a lift of that size. Was very surprised to find such a good deal from a local shop.

So this is the kit....hope I can get the install working in time for the Range on the 16th, with me luck!

post-560-1301625490_thumb.jpg

post-560-1301624547_thumb.jpg

Wow Tyler, way to jump right into it! Sounds like a good plan you've got going there.

Let me know if you want a hand with the install... at the very least I'll hang out and take some pictures haha

Oh yes, pictures are mandatory in this section. :welcome2: :D

I would imagine price is a good motivator for that particular kit. Along with an easy install. I was looking at the same one too, but went a different route because of price (for now, hehe :D )

Good luck on your install, Tyler. I may be able to give you a hand as well, depending on when you do it, just let me know. I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, got my 33 in km2s on her. Makes a world of difference. But now I have that smashed in corner, which I think I've ceom up with a decent solution for.

post-560-1303093548_thumb.jpg

Going to grab a set of these. Makes it real easy to just slide hammer the panel out a bit, put a new tank cover on, rattle can the bare metal to prevent rust, then armor her up with these. 1/8 thick powder coated steel. Save me a bunch of grinding and puttying. Whatcha think?

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, was planing on ordering the armor next week, was going to fix the Jeep at the shop tomorrow night, then do armor. Now that I don't work at the shop, gotta adjust my time table/plan. Instead of using a porta power to knock the panels out, it's gonna be a 5 pound sledge and a 2x4 >_>

Then quarter armor!

My lift showed up at CVO today! Going to pick her up tomorrow. Anyone want to lend me a place/hand putting it in around Friday? James, looking at you here >_>

Yeah you can come out and use the garage. But you gotta bring some beer :rolleyes: I only have a few left. Make sure you have coil spring compressors, just in case we need them. Give me a call.

Archived