• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

M.U.D. 2016 Day 3 Details

sar4x4

Welcome to M.U.D. 2016 Day 3!

(Also check 'M.U.D. 2016 is now Re-scheduled' and 'M.U.D. Day 2 Details' for more information, rules and protocols; and 'M.U.D. 2016 Day 1' and 'M.U.D. 2016 Day 2' pics if you are unfamiliar with the M.U.D. runs.)

M.U.D. is an annual Backcountry 4x4 Trail multi-day run, mostly on less traveled trails.  It is often a bit expeditionary, where we try to explore, recover and traverse some trails that have not been used in years and are not on the 'map' of many 4x4 enthusiasts.  We look at some old maps, rely on our experience from previous trips in the area, and head out on a quest.  To-date, over 8 days over three years, we've not been stymied and had to turn around yet!  But there have been some very technical, very tight trails.

It is a rugged, outdoor, 4x4 activity.  Not for pavement pounders.  A stock Wrangler type Jeep should make it through, with minimal issues, however you may have some dents and scrapes.

Tentative meeting spot:

Date: Saturday, Oct. 15, 2016

Meet time: 09:00 Hrs.

Departure: 09:30 Hrs.

Next stop: Trailhead

**Day 3 will be a bit different.  Tentatively we will:

- Run a short well known trail.  Given the recent weather this trail should be stock and full-size friendly.  4x4 may not be really required!  However it is Rated as 2.5 on our Trail Rating.

- Develop a new trail.  This is an old woods road through semi-mature woods.  There are a series of deadfalls to be cleared and possibly some widening to be completed.  If I recall correctly it is not excessively 'crowded' in by young alder bushes.  You will want to bring woods clearing tools that you are comfortable with.  Chain saw, axe, and pruners, etc. are great, or just a pair of gloves to move debris.  If we are successful this will open a new wonderful (I think), but non-technical woods trail.

- At the end of this trail we will also attempt to develop/open a new little hill climb, short, a bit tighter trail. This will have more in common with the trails we have explored and opened up on other M.U.D. runs, but very short.

No matter how much of the above we get done, there is a likelihood we will attempt / make available one very technical section.  It isn't new to some folks, but it will likely be new to most folks.

And maybe a little spot to bury your rig if you really want.........

Most of the entire day should be fill size friendly, with an optional possible squeezable section.

There will likely be pin striping at overgrown portions of trail.  (Send the wide truck through first!)

As always, we guarantee fun, and we will tow disabled rigs to the nearest road accessible by tow truck or flat bed.  We should be no more than a few kms at most from a major logging road.

On the past three M.U.D. runs, we never had to leave a vehicle behind.  Folks were able to fix them on the spot.

But again, this is a rugged trail ride.  Come prepared.

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Decals are $5..........  We ran out on Day 2 but we are printing more.

• 2 weeks later...

New decals in hand!  Now to be sure to make it an interesting run..........   I planned on some milder trails and trail development this time. 

But the first two days were so good, I think we're seeing more folks this time.  I hope it satisfies everyone!

But that is part of M.U.D., every day is different!

Archived