• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Adventures In Software...

Eastcoastcam

Well with the problems with our old Toshiba laptop, and a new problem with Connor's Thinkpad Windows Vista, I ordered a new LEGIT copy of Windows 7 for Connor's computer off of Amazon.ca. I downloaded and just freshly installed Ubuntu 14.10 on the Toshiba B) . I am using the Toshiba now, and so far it works great! I just have to find out now if I need new drivers for the CD/DVD burner and any other hardware in it and if it is compatible with our printer and network drive :P !

I am looking forward to having Connor's Thinkpad back up and running again too, since it quit after Tara did a windows update to it shortly after I installed the new CPU fan! Just gotta wait for it to arrive in the mail B)!

Yeehaw!!! Fun times for this non-computer geek guy :smiley-laughing021:

Ubuntu shouldn't need any drivers or kernel mods for the tosh, unless its some exotic external drive.

Does it see the drive at all?

It reads the DVD drive, but it wouldn't play a dvd movie on it's own built in video player, or on VLC player. Haven't tried to connect the printer yet, but I was able to just log onto my GoFlex network drive and play the movies that are stored on there, and can copy them onto the hard drive :biggthumpup: !

I will get used to it. So far, so good. At least the computer is now doing what it should, without working slow and freezing, if it even wants to work at all B) !

For movies You,ll probably need to add
contrib
and
non-free
to /etc/apt/sources.list
then do
apt-get update

I scratched that out as I just read it's not needed for Ubuntu...see next post....although I always DO add those sources to my debian list to allow for nvidia drivers and other software held back

install the non free 'ugly' codecs ...I forget the package name

Printer most likely will need drivers tho

Thanks Jay :) ! Two questions though... but first, here is the article from your link...

Here's how you can install multimedia codecs and enable DVD playback in Ubuntu 14.04.

1. Open a terminal window.

2. Type in the following commands then hit Enter after each.

sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly libxine1-ffmpeg gxine mencoder libdvdread4 totem-mozilla icedax tagtool easytag id3tool lame nautilus-script-audio-convert libmad0 mpg321 libavcodec-extra

3. Use this command to turn on DVD playback:

sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh

Additional Ubuntu Resources

If you are multimedia user and use Ubuntu for multimedia then these codecs are very useful for you. You can install them by single command.

More at Noobs Lab

Now my questions...

1. What does he mean by "open a terminal window"?

2. What are the commands that he is referring to? Are they separated by the "-"

and I got the printer to work by connecting to it as it's own wireless network and then had the laptop "search for network printers" and found the correct setting and it found/installed drivers automatically. Tested it by printing a Kijiji ad out B) !

press the ubuntu button top left (or hit the windows key), type in terminal ....it will appear in the apps list..open the terminal (like a command prompt)

in the terminal window copy/paste;

sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly libxine1-ffmpeg gxine mencoder libdvdread4 totem-mozilla icedax tagtool easytag id3tool lame nautilus-script-audio-convert libmad0 mpg321 libavcodec-extra

hit enter

when prompted, accept the download/install

and when done

sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh

hit enter

gotta love bash and apt :)

Linux is great, and you don't need to be as tech savvy now like you did back in the day. Doing things in terminal is still sometimes the best way to do things, but there are easier ways now too.

I have my PC dual booted with Windows 8 and Linux Mint. I usually boot into Mint as it just runs sooo much smoother, but I need Windows (well I don't, but it's easier) for my photo and video editing software, and for keeping things backed up with BackBlaze.

• 2 weeks later...

I love Ubuntu. I ran malwarebytes on the wifes Windows 7 machine a few months ago, turned in 800+ positives. *facedesk*. I just nuked it and gave her Ubuntu, she loves it now as well, and no more worries about pesky malware.

If I didn't use my desktop primarily for gaming it would be Ubuntu as well.

I run Ubuntu on my TV box for XBMC etc. It's nice and fast and reliable.

For Windows, IMHO the purchase price of malewarebytes pro is better than buying an AV product, as the pro version has realtime protection. I managed to get pro at 50% off and it works very well. Of course run a free AV layer too.

And don't get too hung up on Windows vs OSX/Linux....packet storm regulary reports vulnerabilities in all OS's

Archived