• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

power steering leak

e36m3

post-878-0-06033800-1403558557_thumb.jpg

post-878-0-10169100-1403558559_thumb.jpg

i have a power steering oil leak where the steering shaft enters the steering rack. so below part 45203 on the steering shaft diagram is a rubber 'seal'. i cant find the part number for that one.

if you look at ther steering rack diagram, its leaking from above the "actuator" ( not too sure about the name of that part ) anyways where the steering shaft goes in. i cant seem to find the numbers of the rubber seal and that actuator ( the piece that is link to your power steering lines and send fluid to your rack ).

anyone can help me on this one?

It very well may be a non serviceable part and you have to buy the whole rack assembly. This was the case with my liberty, I would've had to purchase the entire setup to fix a barely noticeable leak.

nice, i ll see tomorrow at the dealership if i can buy the part or not. my truck is under warranty but with the amount of mud under the truck, dents and scratches all over the body, they dont really want to pay repairs...

Clean it all up nice and take it in. The worst they'll tell you is what you expect..."no". But you will never know if you don't ask. My seal was leaking and it took almost 2 bottles of Lucas power steering fluid/stop leak working through it and it hasn't let out anything in almost 2 years...

yeah, i ll do that i think. but i m going camping this weekend so that will wait until next week. i ll go get some of that Lucas stuff. thanks, i didnt even think about that. oh the joys of ruining your truck in the woods :)

was able to order the seal kit for it. 150$ for a couple o-rings, a dust cover and a few nuts... anyways i ll put Lucas power steering fluid/leak stopper for now until i receive the parts and have enough time to do the job. i have a couple camping/offroading trips in the next few weeks

Archived