• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Find Me SPOT

Guest autumnwalker

http://www.findmespot.ca/en/index.php

Has anyone else heard of this product? My dad and three friends are currently doing a Trans-Labrador trip on their KLR-650 motorcycles. They began in St. John's, NL and are travelling through NL, Labrador, Quebec, NB, NS, and back to St. John's, NL.

One of the guys is carrying a SPOT tracker which transmits their GPS locations and overlays them on Google Maps every 10 minutes. They are able to send check-in/OK messages, call for help (to pre-determined 10 contacts), and S.O.S. to SAR teams in emergency situations.

The basic service is $99.99 US/year (plus optional addons) - I'm thinking this might be useful for some "lone-wolf" members of the club. You could program the "help" button to notify our rescue list contacts when you are stranded / in need of help, and if s*** really hits the fan you can use the S.O.S. to notify local SAR teams of your distress and whereabouts.

Archived