• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Slow but sure Dodge lift

Guest sar4x4

We haven't been putting the time in that some others have on projects, but we are getting some stuff done. We hope to have a truck or two running by Easter weekend. We also worked on Matt's Toyota, and two of our trailers, and the ATV and the garage, and and and did a bunch of ATV runs. But this is my busy time at work and for our 24 hour SAR orienteering event so not promising ourselves anything!

We started by wanting to install the 6" springs that we ordered some time ago on the Dodge.....

After we took off the old ones we noticed one certainly wasn't long for this world before it would have left us stranded somewhere. The break was old and rusted!

post-247-1267236780_thumb.jpg

We did a u-bolt conversion - putting the U-bolts pointing up. The spring plates are from a 2007 Dakota with a 9.5" LD axle. With that size of factory lift block we went with 5/8ths u-bolts!

post-247-1267237162_thumb.jpg

Heavy duty shackles.

post-247-1267237511_thumb.jpg

Heavy duty bolts.

post-247-1267237665_thumb.jpg

Heavy duty diff cover.

post-247-1267237716_thumb.jpg

This is the height in the back on 40s.................

post-247-1267237905_thumb.jpg

Now we're working on the front. Broken shackle hangers!

You can see the HD front diff cover.

post-247-1267238140_thumb.jpg

More to follow!

Looks good ,are you putting an anti wrap bar on it ? You could do a shackle flip in the rear and get rid of the block to save on axle wrap!

I haven't really thought about that, but my brother might post a reason. It is just the way it evolved. The truck is a military 1 1/4 ton rated with really stiff springs (once we took the big ambulance box off), then we added a leaf and re-arched them for height, and low buck at the time. Well, it was so rough it was like no springs at all, so we ordered 6" soft-ride springs and that is that so far! Kinda nostalgic seeing those ol' factory blocks! Fords had them too I think!

Looks good Eugene.... hope to see you somewhere other than Bayers Road.... :D

Yeah I don't take that Nissan Rogue far off the beaten track! We had the Dodge at Fox Mtn again last year, and the only reason he didn't follow Clarence and the boys all the way through was he turned back when I poked a hole sideways through my gas tank. And then busted more stuff getting turned around with a few other busted trucks. Oh the fun! We have big hopes for making most of the runs this year, but we haven't made one yet...........

• 4 weeks later...

I think somewhere there are photos of the upper spring hangers we made. In the meantime here are some of the finished front end. Minus the front driveshaft, we have to get it lengthened. The best thing is the Suburban is now in the garage, pictures to follow another night!

Broken original upper shackle mount in the center. And the new pieces for fab.

post-247-1269526357_thumb.jpg

The almost completed new ones.

post-247-1269526379_thumb.jpg

The rear shackles and bushings. A far cry over the 35 year old factory stuff!

post-247-1269472396_thumb.jpg

post-247-1269472548_thumb.jpg

post-247-1269472677_thumb.jpg

post-247-1269472707_thumb.jpg

post-247-1269472760_thumb.jpg

post-247-1269472791_thumb.jpg

Archived