• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Transfer case swap

mrjoecanadian

Cant see it being an issue, just may need an adapter piece to have it bolt to the trans. Are the spline counts the same for both? Output on the NP205 same as the 21? I honestly don't know but I am sure its googleable

edit:

Found a nice document on the NP205

http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/NP205tech.htm

I'm going to state all the obvious, I know you already know if you can take apart your front end! This info may be more for those that think 'just bolt it in'. I guess I just feel like writing while I watch the sun come up.

1) Front driveshaft output must be on the correct side!

2) Splines (and diameter) must be the same on the input shaft.

3) Adapter to transmission must be the correct one.

4) Driveshafts may have to be changed for length.

5) May need different driveshaft mating at the ends, or hopefully just a U-Joint with different size 'crosses'. They are easy to get, it's figuring out the sizes you need!

I have one at the rear of my rear driveshaft, in effect it goes from 1/2 ton driveshaft to 1 ton rear axle. I think its a 1350 to 1330.

6) Transfer case linkage. May have to move the hole in the floor.

7) And not to forget, may need to move/adjust the cross-member under the tranny.

Hmm, did I forget anything? Oh yeah, for really old / 'odd' / Land Rover / Toyota stuff the rear driveshaft output may be to one side, but shouldn't be in your case.

Guess I better get ready for work!

Archived