• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Need a cheap 39" driveshaft solution

Nightpath

I'll make this short and simple (tired, stepdad just died, can't stop thinking about things).I had a XJ, used the drivetrain in my Eagle.

Anyways, I've come across an issue. The rear driveshaft has to be 39" long and I've found that the Ford Expedition driveshaft is almost the perfect length.

Is there a ujoint out something cheap that will allow me to adapt the Expedition driveshaft the Jeep t-case and rear axle yolks?

I have the Eagle driveshaft installed in the rear right now, with the xj slip (so it has 2 slips now...). It's too long and has about an inch of travel, if that.

I'm sliding into the poor house with this project...anyone think of a cheap solution?

I suspect having two slip joints may be a bad idea, but I don't know for sure. You can buy u-joints with different size 'caps', don't remember about different length 'crosses' but I think so too. You have to have full measurements of your crosses and cap diameters, and whether inside or outside snap rings, and get the book out at NAPA. Different sized U-Joint sis COMMON, even from the factory on automotive applications. I've done it, my rear-most U-joint is this way. Basically a 1/2 ton driveshaft to a 3/4 ton axle if you want to think of it in simple terms. But you must do the measurements!

Archived