• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Earned my MAN card again for another year!

TRUXterra

Short version of man vs. snowblower.

Wednesday -> try to start snow blower, break cord.

Thursday -> Replace cord, still no start (sputters & dies). Drain gas (can't recall if I stabilized it or not) still no start. Plug was firing.

Friday -> Start searching for a carb kit, none available as there is a recall on my model. Speak to customer service, new carb coming free of charge and local repair shop will install, but it won't be here until Monday...not good with the storm coming.

Yesterday -> pull carb off & clean it (found dirt in the jet) re-install carb and still no start + now raw fuel coming out of exhaust, spark issue, not strong enough and causing the engine to flood. Off to CT to get a new plug cause the old one was weak (3 years old). Go to install the new plug & strip the first 4 threads in the aluminum head. FU<K. Proceed to take off the head for repair. Tried installing the plug from the valve side of the head and it's too short to reach the top side :( After thinking for a bit & remembering that the Xterra takes the same NGK B series plug, I was able to grab an old Xterra plug (about 1" longer than the one for the snow blower). I threaded the plug back through the hole to clean the threads out and the longer plug threads were able to clear all the way through. Pre-install (without issue) the new plug for the snow blower and called it a night.

Today -> Re-installed the head and all of the other parts (you would not believe how much crap has to be removed to even get to it). Fingers crossed I pulled the cord and the b!tch fired-up 1/2 way through the first pull.

Man card approved for another year.

Only issue with longer plugs may hit the top of the piston. JB weld and retap works for alum heads as well, or a Helly Coil insert. Just gotta make sure it doesnt go too far into the head.

Yup I know ALL about this...4 years of working in a small engine shop. Easier to split the auger off the deck, remove the belts and unbolt the engine from the deck.

I only used the longer plug to clear the striped section at the top of the head by installing it from the under, or valve, side. This trick worked so that the correct plug could be installed.

ETA: RobSinclair, you posted as I was typing the same thing...lol

I only used the longer plug to clear the striped section at the top of the head by installing it from the under, or valve, side. This trick worked so that the correct plug could be installed.

Yeah take a grinder or dremel with a thin disk and take a old plug, make a slice in the first couple threads of a plug, makes a Basically a self tapper or a ( thread repair tool ) tool I made to fix this. Had to do it all the time.

Nope, some Chinese brand. When I ordered it the floor model had a B&S motor, when mine arrived, Poulan changed the supplier to another company based in China. I was pissed and Kent gave me a discount to cost ($899 to $680 something). The floor model I requested (and they wouldn't sell me when I ordered) was gone in the 3 weeks it took to get this one in. It works like a top (when properly maintained lol) so I'm happy in the end.

Model is PoulanPRO PP265E27. Husqvarna owns the Poulan line btw.

Nope, some Chinese brand. When I ordered it the floor model had a B&S motor, when mine arrived, Poulan changed the supplier to another company based in China. I was pissed and Kent gave me a discount to cost ($899 to $680 something). The floor model I requested (and they wouldn't sell me when I ordered) was gone in the 3 weeks it took to get this one in. It works like a top (when properly maintained lol) so I'm happy in the end.

Model is PoulanPRO PP265E27. Husqvarna owns the Poulan line btw.

I think there was a recall on that model, replacing carbs free of charge...

Archived