• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

85 4-Runner rear driveshaft

Guest liltoy

Do you have the shaft that came out of your truck? If so get a measurement off of it or if you don't get a measurement from flange to flange. I will check my scrap pile next time I am out that way and see if I have one to fit.

As for "time"ing it only thing to worry about is aligning the yokes when the shaft is put together.

Oh and SAS stands for solid axle swap, what you should have said was SFA solid front axle.

Since it's siting on flat ground get a mesaurement from flange to flange. I think I have atleast two different lenths DSs in the pile. Been a while since I looked at the stock shafts so not sure til I get knee deep in the pile.

Quote:
The drive shaft flanges on the 86-89 toyota havea larger bolt pattern than the 85 and older trucks.
Wel luckily for him I can measure the flange on my truck and the one on the shaft to see if they are the same. Since mine is an 84 should have the same bolt pattern. Actually one of the shafts should be the stock shaft off my truck.

Yup thats the flange to flange measurement I need. As for the different bolt pattern it's not different bolts but different spacing between the bolt holes. Some have drilled out the holes before to get them to match up but I wouldn't recomend doing that unless you absolutely have to.

Quote:
the transfer case end of a driveshaft usually has a sliding yoke which obviously contracts and expand so it would be difficult to take such measurements and compare.

Your are correct but not comepletely. For example you measure the flanges at (just a made up number) 44", then when I measure my shafts if one is say 40" compressed and the other is 32" or 48" (all made up numbers) then I would have to say the 40" compressed would be the one for you.

Archived