• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Moving forum to forums.backcountry4x4club.ca

autumnwalker

Looking at changing the URL from "backcountry4x4club.ca/forums" to "forums.backcountry4x4club.ca".

This will allow me to host the main site on an edge provider (e.g. Cloudflare) and the forum from the server in my basement.

I've been paying to have the site hosted for the last two years (since I moved) with a cloud service provider and I'm looking to move it back to my own infrastructure and eliminate that monthly cost.

With this change, if I need to reboot the server in my basement the forum will be down, but the main site will be up. If I have to do some sort of extended maintenance on the server we can put a notice on backcountry4x4club.ca to alert visitors vs. the entire site being unavailable.

Not entirely sure when I'll make the change, but I'll setup a redirect so that when users visit the old URL they are redirected to the new URL.

• Thanks 2

Quick update on this for anyone who's interested.

I have a test server up and running in the homelab for the forum. I have the forum software loaded (and I'm troubleshooting the image rotation issue).

I also converted the entire main website (everything except the forum) to a set of static HTML pages and have them deployed to CloudFlare Pages (a serverless platform). I've even figured out how to keep our random image banner working (javascript) and our contact form using a CloudFlare Pages Function.

The actual live website has not changed yet - I'm doing all the above stuff to test and prove out my plan. I'm pretty comfortable with how it's all working so next will be to start doing migrations to the new infrastructure for realsies.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...