• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Car Hauler - SS Shitbox

I guess I can start a build thread for this? I picked up a car hauler - scratching an itch I've had as long as I've driven a vehicle capable of towing such a rig as I'm sure some of the cronies can attest to. Appears to be "well used" but solid - plenty of life left.

IMG_2636.jpeg.3ac6904614842066ddf31b60ef4cd466.jpeg

Previous owner went through it and gave it a coat of paint on the areas you could reach without laying on your back (i.e. crossmembers are still needing paint). He also freshened the brakes, bearings, put new LED lights all around, and got it saftey'd one week before I purchased it.

It's hard to tell in the photos, but there were a couple of items that needed to be addressed right away 1) the trailer brake battery was a lawn tractor battery crudely wired and strapped to the deck (see blue strap at front of deck between the ramps in above pic) and 2) there was no plate mount or plate light (how did that pass safety?).

So I picked up a new trailer brake controller, attached it to the front of the frame, and wired it all in. I also put together a plate bracket and light and put it on the rub rail on the back - it is "supposed" to go on the lower driver's side fender, but I knew that would have just got rekt on the first drive.

A bit hard to see, but the battery box is just inside the second upright on the front. I also yanked off the old straps that are attached to the front of the frame. I think I'll cut the winders off the front someday and perhaps reuse them on the sides ... or I might just take them off and save a couple of pounds lol.

IMG_2643.jpeg.27df3626bd5833bde0f24b188a712b83.jpeg

Here it is with its first payload under new management. I picked up four concrete pillars for our new deck. They are about 900 lbs each and about 5.5 feet high. Pulled it great.

IMG_2644.jpeg.1bd98ccbf5208a509c3dfc840aa0929b.jpeg

The deck is fine ... but it's showing age and has a couple of holes. I think I might pull it later this year. That will also give me easy access to rehab the crossmembers and inspect / clean up any wiring hidden below it.

• Like 3