• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Car / equpiment hauler

autumnwalker

I've wanted a trailer forever .. thinking about scratching the itch. Anyone have anything / know of anything available?

Thinking about 18 feet and at least 7k lbs (preferably 10k+).

Also happy to have an ELI5 on trailers (dimensions, capacities, etc.).

Primary use case is long / heavy building materials (think precast concrete, 12+ ft lumber, siding) and / or dragging the Jeep (or other carcasses) around.

I have seen some on Marketplace but they needed a bit of work. Best thing I have seen is new trailers, as in reality they arent too bad.

https://www.shaytrailers.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=11178622&p=1&vc=car hauler&s=Year&d=D&t=new&fr=xNewInventory

$7600 for a brand new 18' hauler.

I’ll check with my bro if we want to sell ours but I’m 101 % confident the answer is ‘No’!  He uses it a lot hauling firewood, using ‘sideboards’. He loads the truck and trailer, then hauls it up over Foley Mountain at 90 kph.  ‘Souped up’ 6 cyl Cummins!

• Like 2

How long makes sense? You can get a new 16 foot 10k for $5,995.

A two door JK is like 14 feet ... little yard tractors are like 6 - 10 feet (depending on accessories). Most dimensional lumber tops out at 16 feet.

UPDATE: AH! Sneaky - the GVWR on the trailer is 10k, and it weighs about 2,500 lbs ... so really only a 7,500 lb payload.

13 minutes ago, Lil'monster said:

With a deck over you can forget about hauliing cars . To much breakover at the ramps . I have that problem with low cars on my trailer

Good point. 4x4 ok, but anything lower would be useless.

On 4/27/2022 at 11:08 AM, TomWood said:

Honestly for myself a 16 foot would do plenty, other than hauling the F150 lol

It will fit, I hauled a crew cab long box f350 on a 16'

3 hours ago, autumnwalker said:

Good point. 4x4 ok, but anything lower would be useless.

Deck over and between the wheels both have pros and cons, yes break over angle is an issue, some of that can be relieved by having a 10k jack on the front, lift the nose of the trailer to load Lower items, helps, but doesn't fix everything. Can do the same on a standard car trailer too, iv had corvettes on my 20' 14kgvwr trailer that is between the wheels.  An added bonus of the deck over is width, and all flat, makes hauling big hot tubs a breeze. The other question is, what are you hauling it with? 

Deck over puts your hauled item up into the airstream more. For example hauling a lifted jeep on deck over will be well above the roofline of most pickups and in the breaking its own wind path, something to think about for efficiency, that adds alot of wind resistance, increasing fuel consumption

Edited by Powerram
More info
  • Like 1

Good info, thanks @Powerram! Would be pulling behind a 1/2 ton.

Based on the Jeep alone it seems like a low deck would be the better option. In future, if it's not the Jeep / 4x4 it would be some sort of sports car type thing which makes a low deck make even more sense.

TBH I've just always wanted a trailer and these are loose justifications for buying one 😉

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Powerram said:

It will fit, I hauled a crew cab long box f350 on a 16'

Deck over and between the wheels both have pros and cons, yes break over angle is an issue, some of that can be relieved by having a 10k jack on the front, lift the nose of the trailer to load Lower items, helps, but doesn't fix everything. Can do the same on a standard car trailer too, iv had corvettes on my 20' 14kgvwr trailer that is between the wheels.  An added bonus of the deck over is width, and all flat, makes hauling big hot tubs a breeze. The other question is, what are you hauling it with? 

Deck over puts your hauled item up into the airstream more. For example hauling a lifted jeep on deck over will be well above the roofline of most pickups and in the breaking its own wind path, something to think about for efficiency, that adds alot of wind resistance, increasing fuel consumption

I do the jack for all cars on my trailor

• Like 1

Any tips on what to look for when checking out a trailer?

I'd look at "obvious" stuff like the deck being rotted, wiring, paint, check lights, tires ... but what about the "important" stuff? Best way to check hubs, brakes, axles? Anything else?

9 hours ago, autumnwalker said:

Any tips on what to look for when checking out a trailer?

I'd look at "obvious" stuff like the deck being rotted, wiring, paint, check lights, tires ... but what about the "important" stuff? Best way to check hubs, brakes, axles? Anything else?

Check that the coupler is in good condition, not beat with a hammer or bent, the breakaway cable and batterybox, make sure the little pin is there to pin the coupler, safety chains and hooks present. 

To get rough idea of wheel bearings, Just rock the top of wheels in and out , listen /feel for clunk. Slight movement is normal, excessive movement and very audible clunk probably needs repack or replacement.  There not too much to them, just tapered roller bearings, and drum brakes are just shoes with a magnet on the brake arm. Sounds like ya got the rest under control, there are 2 types of suspension, torsion axles and spring axles. All personal preference, torsion axles are usually smoother running in my experience. But I have had good luck with my spring axles, cheap to replace a leaf pack or a bushing. But both are tried and true. Sometimes torsion axles have more center clearance for rough terrain.

• Like 1