• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Radio

FLTLNR

Hey all,

I'm starting to look into radio comms for the truck. Last time I ran CB and don't think I want to do that again. I've been watching a couple of overland channels that look like they use what I think is GMRS.

Anyone know anything about this?

24 minutes ago, SQRLPWR said:

I run CB and GMRS, and we had a push to get folks switched over to GMRS. 

GMRS is much better audio quality....think AM radio vs FM.

The main issue is getting foks switch over, which is why I run both.

I just talked to hi-tech comms and they said I'd need a permit?

Do you have a link ot info/setup information?

GMRS operates on the 70cm band.

100% no permit needed to operate a GMRS radio you purchase out of you favorite big box store here in Canada - in USA yes GMRS requires a license.

TECHNICALLY you can use a 70cm HAM radio to operate on GMRS.

HAM radios do require a license to transmit on any frequencies.

However, if you're planning on using a HAM radio on GMRS frequencies, that is NOT allowed, because the Canadian rules for GMRS radio equipment restricts the antenna type. This is NOT the case in the USA. HAM radios have removable antennas;

"Antenna. In Canada, the antenna must be fixed on the radio. It cannot be removed, and it is illegal to replace or modify it. In the US, licensed users can change the antenna."

So, Canada vs USA - different rules.

The long winded versions;

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf08655.html

https://techvents.wordpress.com/stem-stuff/gmrs-technology/

52 minutes ago, SQRLPWR said:

define pain?

do you want to be legal is really the only question.

if you feel it's worth the risk and you dont want a hand held, then buy a HAM radio on 70cm

I prefer to be legal. Security clearance and all.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cinosa said:

@SQRLPWR is there a brand of radio you could recommend? I was on the hunt for GMRS radios, and I was positive we needed an amateur radio operators license for these things, so I'm glad I saw this thread.

it depends on your budget and features. Personally I'd stick to Motorola, but others work really well too. Just make sure they are GMRS and not FRS only.

the advertised range on them is also line of sight, so something to be mindful of. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, autumnwalker said:

You can buy packs of GMRS at any big box store here off the shelf - Canadian Tire, Best Buy, etc. No license required.

They're the little handhelds that parents use with their kids at the beach, mall, whatever.

My understanding is these are frs radios. Specifically ones that are 2 watt with fixed antennas.

The handhelds I'm looking for (as a secondary to vehicle mounted) would be 5 watt.

So, a dude I've been watching has/shows GMRS radios up to 50w. 

Based on what you sent, this is illegal in Canada as these are clearly variable antenna and it appears canada requires fixed as well?