• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

First post, first Jeep, first 4x4 vehicle!

cinosa

Hey everyone,

My name's Chris. I recently picked up a '22 Wrangler Rubicon and am interested in doing some offroading. I'm from Cape Breton originally, but I live in Halifax now. I've been wanting to do some solo offroading, but my rig is stock and I have no recovery gear, so it makes me hesitant. Also, because I'm not from the area, I'm not 100% sure on a good location that my Jeep can handle while being stock, or which places may be a no go due to being owned by someone who doesn't want any trespassers. So, I come here to humbly learn from others who are more experience than I.

da jeep.jpg

• Like 2

When I got my first rubicon I thrashed the paint within the first 500km.

One thing I will mention. 

Provided you play within the limits jeep sets out, and are generally honest, the warranty will be honored. At least at steele chrysler on bedford highway.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FLTLNR said:

One thing I will mention. 

Provided you play within the limits jeep sets out, and are generally honest, the warranty will be honored. At least at steele chrysler on bedford highway.

Yeah, that won't be a problem. I traded in a 10 second capable Golf R for the Jeep, and the VW dealer knew I was modified, though they never asked how much, but I would have given them my entire mod list if they asked. I understand pay to play, and it's why the Jeep will stay stock for a long while.

• Like 2

Welcome, Nice jeep, Like Tom said, check out a coffee night, every Thursday eve at 7pm, on a rotating location schedule. Location is posted here in the forum.  You can meet a few members, and they can meet you, and go from there. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, autumnwalker said:

Welcome! 

Deets on this 10 second Golf?

DBV2 v1 Hybrid turbo

925cc Precision Raceworks MPI kit w/4x 925cc injectors on top of the DI injectors already on the car

CTS catted DP, IC, charge pipping, turbo muffler delete

Walbro 450lph in tank fuel pump

Tuned my Stratified in BC

Dyno vid here -

Car made 415whp, 406wtq. I never did get a chance to run it down the 1320, because COVID was requiring everyone down at Greenfield or in Sydney to pre-register, but neither of the track websites actually detailed this little requirement, so I showed up and was told I couldn't race because I wasn't on the list. That's why I said 10 second capable. That's what I was told it would run with some DR's and a good launch by pretty much everyone.

3 minutes ago, autumnwalker said:

What made you move to 4x4?

The car was fast, and I enjoyed using that speed pretty often. Luckily, HRP never saw a reason to pull me over and give me life changing fines, so I quit while I was ahead. I figured I'd get into overlanding and you need something capable offroad, so here I am in a Wrangler.

Edited by cinosa
Typo

32 minutes ago, cinosa said:

HRP never saw a reason to pull me over and give me life changing fines, so I quit while I was ahead.

Yeah - it's hard to speed in a Jeep 😉 I did the same thing when I left sport bikes for 4x4's. I dabbled again with a car ... and then came back to 4x4's.

Wranglers (especially Rubicons) are capable AF out of the box. Even the KM2's will get you pretty far to start - a better set of tires in the future will get you nearly anywhere.

Good on you for seeking advice / guidance before wondering off on your own without any gear. Golden rule of 4x4 is to have gear and go with another rig (or have a buddy on speed dial).

• Thanks 1

My original plan was to get a Supra. I had a deposit down on a '22 Nitro Yellow 3.0 Premium, but the relationship with O'Regans Toyota soured, and I took my deposit back. I reached out to Steele Chev to find out how long it might take to get me a '22 Camaro 2SS, but they never even bothered responding. That was when I decided going for even MORE speed was probably the wrong idea, and instead I went down the 4x4 path. The fuel economy sucks, but I can go pretty much anywhere I want, and I'm having a helluva lot of fun in this thing, so I'm quite content to live in this world for the foreseeable future.

• Like 2