• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

February 4 storm

autumnwalker

Ours was off for 30 hrs.  Old gennie wouldn’t start (it’s old and was heavily used), so we went out and purchased a new one at about hour 20.  Turns out while the power was still off we still had cable, so we powered the cable (Fibre Op) box and TV and binged unseen ‘Wentworth’ episodes.  🤪👍

We were out for a little over 30 hours here too. I logged 29.5 hours on the generator.

We never lost internet either. I cannot recall a time since I've had Bell Fibe that I've lost internet - that spans like 5 or more years and two different addresses.

@sar4x4 what did you get for a new generator?

• Like 1

It’s Chinese, hard to get anything else, BUT the Chinese build to spec.  You want cheap stuff to sell in a thrift store (no brand names mentioned), they will manufacture it. You want hi-quality stuff, they will manufacture that also.

It’s prominently labelled as Mastercraft (Cdn. Tire), but has Champion labelling in all the nooks and crannies. And a big Made in China sticker on the box.  

🤷‍♂️👍

My priority at the time of purchase was getting any new gennie, in the middle of an outage.  We already had a high quality / high amperage long cord.  $$ years ago

I may look into a proper NSPC / gennie integration this summer when NSPC isn’t so busy.  Neighbour has one. SLICK

7 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

I may look into a proper NSPC / gennie integration this summer when NSPC isn’t so busy.  Neighbour has one. SLICK

I had a Generlink installed - L14-30 cable on generator end and Generlok (propritary) on the Generlink end. It installs inline between the meter and meterbase and then powers anything in the panel that your generator can handle.

• Like 1