• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

My adventures of getting and KEEPING a wheeler

Powerram

Projects come and go, I finish some and move some along. This beast just landed in my lap, yes it needs alot of work lol. Specs are 1980 K5 Jimmy 4x4, with 350cid , th350 trans, np205 transfercase, 10bolt gm front diff, 12 bolt gm rear diff. Been wanting one forever, no plan description, will update as progress takes place. I did get it running and seems to run ok, haven't tried moving it yet. It has no brakes right now. 

20211104_111529.jpg

• Like 1

So this happened,  couldn't pass it up , it came home with me. It's a 1986 Jimmy, lifted, 35" tires, 350cid,700r4 and a transfercase?  Sitting for a bit, originally from the west, very minimal rust. I'll fix this one because it's much better Condition, and use the 1980 as a parts truck. It has a hidden winch in the front bumper, stainless braided flex hoses on the brakes, all spring lift , no blocks, real nice rig, but needs some mechanical repairs, more to come on that

20211115_083139.jpg

20211115_083230.jpg

20211115_083240.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, this build has some direction, iv had a chance to give it a good onceover it and see what's what. I purchased it without much history or information. Tcase is np208. The transmission, 700r4 is only "sitting" in place, only two bell bolts in, and not tight, starter hanging by the wires, flexplate has a bolt into the convertor, no exhaust other than rotten headers. 350 Engine and engine bay look complete and intact. 

Body wise it will need rocker sills, and a couple minor spots in the quarter panels along with 2 spots on the jimmy tub. Overall very happy with body condition. Another positive is the front winch mount, there is a 9000lb magnum brand winch with a fairlead through the front bumper. Iv also acquired a chrome front bumper to replace the rusty painted one. 

Onto the suspension , it looks like a quality full spring lift kit in the range of 6", with a  raised steering arm, and beefy 1ton tierod and ends. The brake flex lines are all stainless braided lines, and proper securing clips, axles are corporate 10 bolt diffs front and rear, I haven't checked gear ratio out yet, wheels are factory rally wheels with 35x12.5r15 bfg rubber. 

My plans and reasoning lol:

There is a questionable history on the transmission that's only partly installed,  possibly confused with time. So rather than take chances on that, I have in my possession a nv4500 5speed(still currently installed in a newer bodystyle truck behind a 6.2gm diesel). I have a np205 round pattern 32 spline transfercase iv been holding onto for probably 13 years, that will mate to the nv4500. Found the clutch and brake pedals from a guy in the valley that removed them from a parts truck he had, and it's for the hydraulic clutch setup. 

Planning(hoping) to leave the 350 as is, just tune up and get running, and do the required body work. And get that winch working. This Will be a  daily driver/wheeler 

One other mod is a spare tire mount. I'm thinking the swing out style bumper mounted tire carrier will be the solution to that.  Now that there is direction, I'll keep progress updated. The black 1980 jimmy that started this thread will now be used as a parts truck for this one. 20211116_124028.thumb.jpg.1addd96ab2359601f7e495c41a67fa6f.jpg

20211121_133944.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

There has been a change in program folks, Both k5 Jimmy's above have left the building. 😲.  But that's ok, iv re obtained a vehicle that I sold in the moment that I didn't plan on selling. And was sad when it left.  it is basically exactly as I saw it last. Thanks to the owners for taking good care of her while we were separated lol. Reunited with my Ramcharger. Not going to sell it again 🙄 I know, I change vehicles like some people change pants, but this truck has got some history of being evasive from me. She likes to play hard to get, And now we are going to be inseparable 😄 

20220112_171936.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Had the ramcharger running last night, it's been parked for a while. Sounds good, 

Parts ordered for the ramcharger, the suspension is still original, and sagging, generally worn, its getting a Complete suspension upgrade with 4 inch lift, all new springs, and some minor steering upgrades, no crossover, but did get an adjustable drag link , and opted for a  drop pitman arm rather than the raised steering arm. Iv been down that road with raised steering arm and couldn't keep the bolts tight/ sheared bolts while driving in an old dodge truck,  that was a wild moment haha. Also have the repair panels for the body work that is needed. Overall it's a solid truck with exception to rocker sills, and bottom of the quarter panels. Still wearing the original 2tone paint

On 1/14/2022 at 9:39 AM, autumnwalker said:

Taking bets for how long until thread update "ramcharger sold, new plans" 

Haha, nope, not selling this, will update as progress commences. Will be waiting for about a month for parts, as per shipping delays and other things that slow things down

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...