• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

CB To be replace by FRS/GMRS radios in 2021

SQRLPWR

The club exec have been testing FRS/GMRS radios, and going forward we will be replacing CB with FRS/GMRS on all club runs.

• The 'club' frequency will be;
    • Channel 16
    • 462.5750 MHz
    • GMRS
    • 'Zero' or 'NO' privacy tone

image.thumb.png.c34424a7422e02149c38834555bb4d18.png

Here is a cheat-sheet for anyone who wants to buy a radio

• Why the change?
    • FRS/GMRS radios have far superior voice clarity than CB, and far less susceptible to interference
  • All FRS/GMRS radios are hand held (because a removable antenna is not allowed without a license)
  • How good are they in the woods?
    • Pretty good for keeping in touch with all members of a club run in dense wooded areas. Line of sight and conditions make a difference.
  • What frequency / band do they use?
    • Frequency Band for both FRS & GMRS is the same 462 – 467 MHz in the 70cm Ultra High Frequency (UHF) Band
  • What is the difference between FRS and GMRS?
    • The only difference is transmit power!
      • FRS - lower power, so no license required in Canada or USA
      • GMRS - higher power, so a license is required in the USA (not in Canada)
  • Which radio should I buy?
    • I can provide Motorola T100 GMRS radios for $30 (at cost, and subject to availability) at the trail head or on request
    • Any FRS/GMRS or compatible radio should work as long as it can work on the 'club' frequency above
    • Named brands like Motorola (T series) are generally more robust, but more expensive than a Chinese off brand
    • The more money you spend, the more features you pay for too, like VOX and NOAA weather service etc
  • Will my existing walkie talkie / bubble pack / 2-way radio work?
    • Most radios sold in the stores or online that are FRS/GMRS compatible should work. Just check the frequency against the chart.
  • Can I use my Ham radio?
    • Yes. A 70cm Ham radio operates on the same frequency range, but you will need a license to transmit because the radio will not conform to the FRS/GMRS standard requirements (usually because they have much higher output power and a removable antenna, which is not allowed under the license free FRS/GMRS rules)
    • I have an Anytone AT-778UV 

They're cheap. I've got 6x Motorola T100's @$30 each that I'll be taking to Renfrew on Sun (2 spoken for already)

I recommend any of the Motorola 'T' series - they range in price and features, but all are FRS/GMRS with channel 16 @ 462.5750 MHz

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=motorola+t100&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Robbie, Dave and Bill have the T200's

• 2 months later...
30 minutes ago, derekmac said:

I have a few handheld units, but I wouldn't mind getting something like the Midland MXT115 or MXT275 to keep mounted in the Jeep.  I can't seem to find a Canadian place to buy them though...

The reason you can't purchase one in Canada is;

In Canada GMRS and FRS radios are not permitted to have detachable antennas to qualify for the FRS/GMRS designation. In the USA GMRS units can have detachable antennas, but there is a license fee associated with it. That's the difference. The retailers are probably not permitted to export here for that reason.

FRS/GMRS is the 70cm band.

You can use a 70cm band radio and legally transmit if you have a HAM license.

You can use a 70cm band radio and legally receive without a HAM license.

You'll just have to bootleg one in. I have an AnyTone AT-778UV.

image.png.45ff7d26369a355005488fa6c6ebff48.png

Archived