• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Forum Upgrade

autumnwalker

Hi Folks,

I just completed an upgrade to the forum - lots of new features (many behind the scenes), security updates, etc.

One thing I knew was coming was a theme upgrade. I thought I could keep the old theme ... but apparently it just changed it to partially the new default.

So - I'll pick away over the next little while at getting the theme back to making more sense (mainly the header and links at the top). 

Possibly the biggest new change is a native iOS and Android (beta) app for the forum. I have to do a little bit of work to get it up and running, but I'll do that soon and will post details on how to use it.

2 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

I hoped it was down for maintenance, and so it was.  I’ll let you know if I find anything acting quirky!

Well ... it was legitimately down overnight. Ran out of memory and it brought down the database. I'm hoping to get some of the upgrades in the home done so I can get my server rack and our proper server back up and running.

Right now we're running on a server in Toronto via DigitalOcean while I moved ... move done. Now I'm renovating lol

RE: server going down. I put different monitoring on it so now it should ping me on my phone when it notices that the actual board is down. Formally it was only pinging to see if the server would respond - when it's showing an error on the page the server is technically still responding so I never got notified. Now it's looking for certain attributes of the forum and if it doesn't detect them it'll alert me. We will see if it's more accurate.

@SQRLPWR that's a great question. We actually do get a lot of guest traffic (orders of magnitude higher than member traffic right now) - so it might be unique. I'll ask a question with the developer / company and see if we get a reply.

I’ve managed some tasks on the new site.  I was able to download two .gpx files from Jay in the message part.  But the GUI is pretty messed up on IE on my Windows 10(?).  I had to use my iPhone to reply to him.  My phone is up-to-date. 
Hmm, I might try MS Edge or Chrome..

3 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

I’ve managed some tasks on the new site.  I was able to download two .gpx files from Jay in the message part.  But the GUI is pretty messed up on IE on my Windows 10(?).  I had to use my iPhone to reply to him.  My phone is up-to-date. 
Hmm, I might try MS Edge or Chrome..

The message board and forum work great here in MS Edge....

5 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

the GUI is pretty messed up on IE on my Windows 10(?). 

Internet Explorer (IE) is a tough one. Microsoft is even dropping support for it in its apps (i.e. O365) at the end of November. Nobody is developing for it anymore and Microsoft is pushing people to (new) Edge. That being said ... I bet there are a lot of users here who are using IE. 

Actually - about 2/3 of our traffic is mobile!

Archived