• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Getting started advice?

TommyG

Hey everyone,

I have a stock (got better tires) 5th gen 4runner Sr5 and my buddy has a 5th gen TRD off-road - both of us are new to off-roading and wanted to get some advice on how to get started.

my 4runner is my daily, and his is a lease - so we want to remain on the gentle side, but still want to try and get out there a bit.

Any "Easy" trails, or group activities, or coaching or something? any suggestions are welcome to help us get going.

thanks!

Tom

Hello and welcome, there are trails out there suitable for what you are looking for, there is a coffee night every Thursday with rolling schedule for location, starts at 7pm, great place to start for meet and greet and can see others rigs and we can see yours. Any pics of your runner?

Hey Tom:

The club does some trails suitable for the rigs you mention.  I think we are on Fb as well as this site.  I even had my Daily out a couple of weeks ago and skirted around the rough stuff that the group went through.  It was a great outing, something for everyone!  

Some runs are a mixture of P.O.R.N. members, NSJC members, and folks with rigs that don’t need to say they’re part of a club.  It’s all good!

🤪👍

Hi,

Thats awesome. Glad noobs are welcome. Here is a picture of my fire engine (I bought it used and it was the only color on the lot, but it is growing on me because I don't see many around, unlike gray and black), and also my dog. the 4runner is stock, but the dog is modified with the Tasmanian devil package.

20 years ago I was a passenger in my buddies heavily modified land cruiser with lift/huge tires/winch, and we went from the airport to Musquidoboit (somehow). it was a really cool trip, we got stuck a couple times and popped a tire on the rocks in a little stream. first exposure to the power of winches and what 4wheel vehicles can climb over. Is the trail still there, is it as hard as I remember?

cheers!

Tom

IMG_0045.JPG

The airport to Porters Lake route(s) still exist.  A small portion of each route may have the road built up a bit for forestry.  We know the routes well, having developed a very very detailed map for a Search and Rescue competitive event.  We also have a similarly detailed map for the former Bowater lands.  In fact, I was in there yesterday and mapped a new forestry road, and some industrial development.

👍

Archived