• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

The Ultimate Last Truck

Powerram

Well, I really find myself needing a 3/4 ton or 1ton truck. No worries, still picking at the Nissan,  And daily driving the tow truck got old real fast. I need a pickup that gets reasonable fuel Mileage, is rugged and robust, and no electronics. The Ford V8 diesels are ok, but really gutless, and the powerstroke are drive by wire , want to stay away from that, and finding a mechanical Cummins that isn't modded and thrashed in good running condition is very expensive. 

The build will be ,1994 F350. Starting with the frame from an 89 f350 srw 4x4 reg cab Long box . The cab from the 94 f3504x4, bed, fenders and grille from a 1980-1986 f250, the driveline is rear sterling 10.25" full float srw axle from 89f250, front D60 are from 1995 f350, both 4.10:1 gears but that might change later to taller gears , To be determined. 

Powertrain, is where it gets interesting, iv acquired a ford inline 6 turbocharged diesel engine, displacement 6.6L mated to what I believe is a 6 speed manual transmission of 1990 vintage.  Haven't had a chance to check what transmission it is for sure,  the engine is fully mechanical, and doesn't occupy much more space than the popular diesel swap 5.9 Cummins.  Here are some pics of the junk iv collected to make this happen, doesn't look like much, but the pieces I'll be using will be rust free. Red cab is the donor engine and transmission, black cab is the one going on the truck, 1980 completish looking truck will give up the front fenders, hood and grille, I have a rust free 2 tone box but slightly banged up and rust free diesel rad support same truck as box is from to complete the body and perfect condition front and rear bumpers. Interior to be determined.

$_59 (1).jpeg

$_59 (4).jpeg

received_344012440287610.jpeg

IMG_20190601_102256.thumb.jpg.f6ac2429b6e54d889e4b29328473cb0a.jpg

Screenshot_20201011-000906.png

Got the donor truck home yesterday, was able to get it with my towtruck. Haven't had a chance to play with it at all. But have identified the transmission as a 6 speed Eaton fuller , with some deep gears, non overdrive. Ratios as follows

1st 9.01:1
2nd 5.27:1
3rd. 3.25:1
4th 2.04:1
5th 1.36:1
6th 1:1

Pics later today

• 5 weeks later...

Picked up some more parts, another cutoff truck like the red one, with Inline 6 turbo diesel engine and transmission, deal was too good to pass up, and I have acquired the np205 divorced case as well. I will have to transfer my married transfercase guts into the divorced case. All major parts are accounted for, next will be preparing the frame to accept the engine and transmission.

The 6 speed transmission in the red cab is a direct, meaning no over drive, plans on axle gearing will be 3.55:1. I have a rear axle ready. Need to pick up front diff ring and pinion to replace the 4.10:1 gears. Guessing the 5 speed in the second cutoff is also direct. Haven't looked yet. Running total so far $900 with a bit of horsetrading junk for junk. Happy with that number so far.  Today's mission is to move stuff around, hauling a couple rigs out of my yard today, general clean up. Pics to follow.

22 hours ago, autumnwalker said:

What's the deal with these cut in half trucks? Where do you find this stuff?

In the backcountry lol, chances are, the rear portion of these trucks are still being used in the woods as a power trailer behind a tractor hauling logs or wood. The PTO from the tractor would drive a transmission on the trailer and that would power the drive axle on the trailer(aka rear cutoff of the truck) seen both single axle and tandem axle units built, real capable rigs, chains on all wheels .

4 hours ago, autumnwalker said:

What sort of power / torque does that engine make? Sounds huge for a 6!

The HP and torque are in the Same ballpark as the 5.9 12 Cummins trucks of the early/mid 90's for reference, the Cummins 5.9 having less torque. The 6.6 I have is 185hp, 450ft/lbs TQ and the 7.8 is 210hp with 510ft/lb tq. They both have similar Bosch inline injection pump as the Cummins and respond  Similarly to mods as the Cummins. Getting pretty excited about this build, doing some yard rearranging in preps to start the assembly and mockup

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/27/2020 at 1:37 PM, autumnwalker said:

Taking the sleeper off?

Not sure what you mean, no sleeper on this, it's a 4door crew cab, like the other f350 crew cab I rebuilt last year. Except this one is a dually. Here is another angle of this truck, but with ground effects/running boards still on along with different wheels all which were removed previous to me aquiring it but shows the cab configuration a little bit better maybe?

received_3841862655844771.jpeg

received_173302717813236.jpeg

18 hours ago, Powerram said:

Not sure what you mean, no sleeper on this, it's a 4door crew cab, like the other f350 crew cab I rebuilt last year. Except this one is a dually. Here is another angle of this truck, but with ground effects/running boards still on along with different wheels all which were removed previous to me aquiring it but shows the cab configuration a little bit better maybe?

received_3841862655844771.jpeg

received_173302717813236.jpeg

That paint job is pretty rad 👌 

17 hours ago, autumnwalker said:

Doh! I was thinking this was your thread about the tow truck ... that you were putting this cab on the tow truck instead. My bad!

Ah ok, understand now lol.

12 hours ago, SQRLPWR said:

That paint job is pretty rad 👌 

It was at one time lol, the glass is also etched with Rockford fosgate and pin striping. 

Archived