• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Welder power requirements (new build?)

autumnwalker

I split this out of the welding tips and tricks thread. Figured it isn't a tip or trick.

We are considering building a new house. I'm thinking about a future garage and what I should be planning ahead for. The biggest thing that comes to mind for me right now is power. The house would come standard with a 200A panel. We are hoping to use a ducted air handler with heat pump for heat which would have an electric coil as backup ... I'm not sure exactly how much of the 200A panel would be used; I assume not as much as electric baseboard, but a good chunk for the backup coil.

Should I be looking at a bigger panel to accommodate a "good" welder that I can use for things like welding up bumpers, skid plates, sliders (i.e. thicker stuff)? What about other shop things like a compressor ... maybe (if I'm really on my best behavior) a lift?

Original question here (which is what @ovrlndr originally replied to below):

I have a welder question ... please ELI5.

Clean slate - what sort of power requirements do you want for a "good" welder?

What size panel in the house? What size breaker? etc.

15 hours ago, Lil'monster said:

I have 100 amp panel in the house and a 200 amp in the shop

Thanks @Lil'monster! So if the house has a 200A, upping it to 400A to account for the garage would be more than sufficient for my purposes.

What sort of circuit are you running your (more than "good") welder on?

Archived