• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Mixing Oils?

autumnwalker

How do you guys feel about mixing brands of oil (e.g. Mobil 1 w/ Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic)? Weights of oil 5w20 and 5w30?

Jeep and RAM call for oils which meet or exceed MS-6395. I've always used Mobil 1 which, technically, does not have that certification. Pennzoil does have that certification so given the prices are basically the same I'm going to switch.

Use case #1: I have about 1.5L of Mobil 1 left over for my wife's Civic ... don't want to buy another jug and have additional leftover Mobil. Thinking about mixing with Pennzoil in this case.

Use case #2: I stupidly read an article on the internets about Jeep oil viscosity and purchased 6L of 5w20 when in fact it requires 5w30 in the owner's manual. Would it be awful if I picked up a new jug of 5w30 and mixed in the 946ml of 5w20 (5L of 30, 946ml of 20)? I could also then use the 5L jug of 5w20 Pennzoil in the Civic.

I won't say what you should do, but I'll tell ya what I have done. When I had my trans am with the Lt1 i was extremely picky with oil, only ever saw Mobil 1 synthetic, it called for 5 w30, it might have seen that once, I ran 10w30 in it for first of season and in the dead heat of summer I ran 10w40, one time  I picked up all the stuff to do an oil change at a buddies place, dumped the oil , pulled filter and when I was priming the new oil filter noticed I had picked up  4L of 5w20,  and 2L of 10-40, oh well dumped it in and didn't worry about it, rectified it at the next oil change. Other engines iv mixed different viscosity synthetic and conventional cause I had a bunch of half liters kicking around, the caravan that had 400,000 kms, it always got a mixture of whatever I had around from diesel oils to 0w20 winter oils, no ill effects on that engine. 

So, what I am hearing, based on personal experiences is that it really doesn't matter if you mix. 

I think I'll grab a jug of 5L 5w30 Pennzoil for the Jeep and top off with the 946ml of 5w20. The 5L of 5w20 Pennzoil that I have now can go into the Civic and the leftover Mobil 1 can go into the snow blower or something.

• 1 year later...
On 4/24/2020 at 10:14 AM, SQRLPWR said:

my 2c....as long as there's oil in it you'll be fine.

On a side note not relevant to your modern engine dilemma @Powerram I've been told I need oil with plenty of Zinc in my flat tappet 351w to keep the cam from wearing out ....thoughts?

U need the zinc to break in a flat tappet cam but shouldn't need it after the break in cycle is completed. They have zinc additives made specifically for flat tappet cam break in, after that a good synthetic should do..

Far as mixing oil goes, if its an older high mileage engine id throw anything in. I've thrown 75w90 gear oil in mine in a pinch,  any lubrication is better than no lubrication,  but a newer engine id follow specs from the manufacturer. Some engines with VVT setups or cam phasers like the new Ford engines can wind up with expensive repairs due to incorrect oil... something about how they sludge up I believe...

Archived