• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

New To The Site And New To Overlanding.

KyleMacSR5

Hey All,

I have a 2016 4runner SR5 with full offroad package. Came with a 3" Toytec lift and I would like to start taking this rig into the woods and have some fun. Nothing too crazy since I don't have the kit to allow me to do that. I would like to do some camping in it and find some cool spots off the beaten trail. Looking forward to getting out there even with the state of affairs at the moment. Photo attached.

$runner.jpg

Hey @KyleMacSR5! Glad you were able to get registered ok. Good looking rig.

Not sure what the official club stance is right now re: social distancing ... typically the type of runs we do are right up your alley though and your rig would be just fine. You may want to do something about the running boards though (unless they are proper rock rails). They generally do damage to the vehicle's rockers while on the trails.

We do have some folks that are more into the overlanding - we do something called M.U.D. runs each year, but I'd hesitate to say they are "nothing too crazy". The acronym is "Major Undercarriage Damage". Get your feet wet with some club runs, get to know your rig, then assess your desire to ramp it up 🙂

Thanks Autumwalker,

I would agree that the running boards do not have any structure to them. Would anyone have any recommendations for a good set for a 2016 4runner? Would something like this be a bolt on? (Note: I am new to all of this so I don't know if that's a dumb question.)

M.U.D runs sound fun...meaning I would love to see that kind of stuff but likely not in the rig haha

Welcome.  Nice rig..   I owned a brand new 1983 Toyota HiLux (precursor to the Tacoma, yet still sold in other countries), back in the day!  I've always liked Toys, but currently don't own any.

'Rock Rails' is the term most often used for 'STOUT' running boards.  Stout enough that you can place a jack under them and lift the vehicle!  Or bump a rock with them and not dent the vehicle (hence the name).  And if equipped with an anti-slip coating on the top you can stand safely on them, like a running board.

Keep watch on this site and FB perhaps, there will be weekly coffee nights again and woods runs!

Oh yeah, M.U.D. doesn't really stand for Major Undercarriage Damage.  We coined it, leaving it up to the reader as to what it means.  We've never had any major damage on a M.U.D. run (often multi-day, overlanding style).  But the possibility is there.  The big rule of M.U.D. is 'No Whining'.  If it is not to your liking, take a side track back to civilization.  There's no shame in keeping your daily driving rig intact!

Cheers!

Archived