• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

720 4x4

Powerram

Sizing up the mount for the winch , looks like it will be an easy mount, just need to pick up some material, the mount is a warn Brand winch Mount, for what, I have no idea, but here is the sizing up pic. It will be a little closer to the bumper than in these pics

IMG_20200422_161147.jpg

IMG_20200422_161209.jpg

IMG_20200422_161201.jpg

• Like 3

Loose mounted springs on the front axle, stuck tires and wheels on the axle to take some measurements. Also have the new winch for this truck, still need to fab up some mounts for the winch plate. 

IMG_20200425_175342.jpg

IMG_20200425_174634.jpg

IMG_20200430_122512.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, autumnwalker said:

I'm very curious about how that Runva performs!

First impressions arnt to bad, looks like a nice winch, has great reviews, supplier in Canada, handheld remote feel cheap, has built in wireless, comes with everything pictured, mounting hardware, wireless and corded controller, snatch block,hook,  85' of 3/8" wire rope, roller fairlead and weather proof cover. It's also available with synthetic rope for slightly more $

• Like 1

Got the pushbar/winch plate soft mounted, took a little bit of thought for how to mount it, the frame of the truck doesn't go all the way to the front, it stops at the radiator behind the bodywork, the bumper has risers and is bolted to the fenders, I have a plan on how mount it all, and keep it strong enough for winching, here is the unfinished product, 

IMG_20200504_104338.jpg

IMG_20200504_104331.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, autumnwalker said:

That really suits the truck! Details on the 'vette?

The Vette is a 2005, Targa roof , 6speed manual and was for sale last year, It's my mom's car. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Not much progress, but iv decided to yank the z22 engine and trans, it has a couple little issues that I'm too cheap to fix, I have a nice running 302 and TOD trans. It's not a powerful 302 but runs nice and clean with that trans should drive nice. HP and torque ratings are 135hp and 246ftlb/tq.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

Oh, the purchase of the rig started quietly....  But now the beast mode starts! lol

Haha, should be fun little truck, still not a powerhouse, but at least it will be able to maintain speed, and have a little left over for other things 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The little truck told me it is time to put the SAS under the front, Last night, while on a dirt Rd putting along , was a really big bang, then a clang and something big jammed under the truck enough to lift it momentarily. As I pulled over and stopped, thinking of the sounds of broken stuff over the years initial thoughts was the exhaust ripped off, but the truck wasn't any louder, so my reasoning said , and I told Russell , as we were getting out, I bet that was a Torsion Bar let go, and sure enough , looked under the truck and the pass side torsion bar was missing, it was late night and dark but walked back and picked up the torsen bar/ new prybar, . Drove the truck back home slowly. Limping, leaning and avoiding every pebble, stick or leaf I encountered on the way home for fear it would send our heads into the roof if we hit. Truck made it home and will commence work as soon as I finish the towtruck 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ovrlndr said:

Wow, it must have had a rust spot on the bar or been used as a slider?

Glad you made it home with your new tool 🙂

Nope, not rusty, was not a clean break, but more shatter type break, just suspect they aren't made for heavy compression/ extension and are over 30 yrs old , and they are so tiny, like the thicknesses of a coil spring

Here is a pic of the truck leaning, and the broken Torsion barIMG_20200608_144303_5.thumb.jpg.26241c402cf51cea352decdabfbaf4d1.jpg

Was mocking up and taking measurements , figuring out ride height and looking at the angles of everything, here is a slightly higher than ride height guestimate ,it should sit a couple inches lower than how the pic was taken, I was originally planning afront spring shackle like a jeep yj or samurai setup, but after i saw how high it is came up with some rear shackle options that should keep it a bit lower1228216613_IMG_20200608_180626_32.thumb.jpg.213703f346a4ae9f7d5e346139c466d3.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

No real updates, being laid up with restrictions sucks, another 4 -6weeks left but figured I'd post to keep the crickets at bay. Still planning on full suspension build. Some good news, my new welder has arrived, although I can't lift it at the moment but it's here ready lol, and the fender flares are here as well. Iv got the time to really look and study my plan of attack for this build. 

• Like 4

Good to hear you're recovering!  Take it slow and heal properly..

Having said that, if you need a hand doing anything, I'm currently available almost every weekday afternoon.  You could sit and point, and I'd grunt and lift, push, etc.

I haven't sorted e-mails on my new phone yet, but everything else loaded back up and works properly.  FB, Messenger, this website, all my apps, etc etc.

Your signature says you're stuck in the 80's,,,,,  lol

• Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 7:57 AM, Powerram said:

No real updates, being laid up with restrictions sucks, another 4 -6weeks left but figured I'd post to keep the crickets at bay. Still planning on full suspension build. Some good news, my new welder has arrived, although I can't lift it at the moment but it's here ready lol, and the fender flares are here as well. Iv got the time to really look and study my plan of attack for this build. 

Glad to hear you are on the mend. Take your time and take it easy and come back stronger.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...