• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport / Rubicon

autumnwalker

On 4/17/2021 at 7:08 PM, Powerram said:

Something I do on bulb sockets on all my vehicles , is plug the socket full of dielectric grease, then stick the bulb into it, iv had to change alot of burnt out bulb sockets and pigtails, but never one iv " treated " to the grease , I think it helps cool the socket and wire contacts and prevents any corrosion too due to trapped moisture. 

I was thinking about doing exactly this - these are the lower orange turn signal bulbs on the front grill as well - they are exposed to water, salt, etc. dielectric should help with all of it.

• 7 months later...

Shed nearing completion at the "new" house ... actually starting to reclaim floor space in garage so I can haul this pig in and get working on it.

From sitting it has developed a brake issue - pulls hard to passenger side under braking. Gotta sort that out. Need to go through suspension and check torque, replace worn out parts, etc.

Want to fix water leaks ... Jeep thing?

• Like 2

The LF caliper is likely seized.  Dirty, abused, and lack of use.  In the old days we’d get ‘er up to speed and jump on the brakes to break it free.

It’s good for a one time try.  Otherwise just get a new caliber, they’re not crazy expensive. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

The LF caliper is likely seized.  Dirty, abused, and lack of use.  In the old days we’d get ‘er up to speed and jump on the brakes to break it free.

It’s good for a one time try.  Otherwise just get a new caliber, they’re not crazy expensive. 🤷‍♂️

This is my thought / assumption / hope. 

I tried the good ole days trick and nearly ended up in the ditch 😬

On 11/29/2021 at 8:50 AM, autumnwalker said:

From sitting it has developed a brake issue - pulls hard to passenger side under braking. 

Agree that it sounds like a stuck caliper, I'd also recommend a brake system flush if possible, brake fluid attracts and absorbes moisture and humidity, causing internal rust issues/failures.  it's  possibly a contributing factor in sticking brake parts.

Glad ya not in the ditch, but if you were, you know who to call lol😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 9 months later...

Actually started this thing up the other evening and put air in the tires. Front left must have dry rotted to the point of a slow leak. 

Surprised it fired and the gas was any good. Ran great! Took it for a little spin around the block to get things moving. Brake calliper has not fixed itself yet. 

Deck is now done and shed shelving is nearing completion to get the junk out of the garage to pull this thing in. 

Priorities ...

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

New tires acquired and new wheels on their way.

Deciding to go up to a 37" on a 17" Method 701 with bead grip. Lots of media about "bead grip" these days. I'm curious how well it works.

Wheels should be here Thursday and hoping to have them mounted Saturday. Then I'm into the rest of the rehab program for the Heep to get back to trail ready.

image.thumb.png.5ed3ede4362b24f9aabc860c3a6d750e.png

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, SQRLPWR said:

jealous, I would love those wheels on mine

I'm trying to thread the needle between "be reasonable with costs" and "build it the way you want it". The wheels were a splurge for sure ... for my next trick I will bust out some rattle can and paint over the rust spots on my bumpers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, autumnwalker said:

I'm trying to thread the needle between "be reasonable with costs" and "build it the way you want it". The wheels were a splurge for sure ... for my next trick I will bust out some rattle can and paint over the rust spots on my bumpers.

I hear ya about costs. I keep looking for some nice rims, but my sensible side keeps asking 'but why do I need them?'

maybe one day i'll be deaf lol

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, SQRLPWR said:

I hear ya about costs. I keep looking for some nice rims, but my sensible side keeps asking 'but why do I need them?'

maybe one day i'll be deaf lol

I "justified" this with lower weight vs steel (every bit counts?) and the bead grip thing. I've actually never popped a bead, but I think I've been very lucky. I used to air down way too low for non-beadlocks and ... magic? I dunno. Apparently this bead grip crap will let you comfortably go down to 5 PSI if you want.

• Like 3

On 1/13/2023 at 9:17 AM, autumnwalker said:

It begins. Tires being mounted on the wheels as I type. In the 3rd photo you can see the "bead grip" stuff on the inside of the wheel. Will be interested to see how well this works!

image.thumb.jpeg.55b030c92ac04bf878bd20a94f6add07.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.275394ec41e4ac8e1ae1441c7d6c20b5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d9a0e08c8b0615d1a186d1bb46bd4019.jpeg

I have been eyeballing the same wheels for some time but can’t justify yet just like jay said. But if 37” BFG KM3s ever are available again (been trying for a year to order a set) I might sell my krawlers on the rims in hopes to get a set of these methods! Can’t wait to see the photos of the tires mounted and hear how they perform!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got the tires mounted on the wheels and the wheels on the Jeep. Super happy with them for fitment. No rubbing lock to lock. I think they will get into the liners a bit when articulating, but I do have a new set of metal liners for the front that hopefully will help there.

Ended up replacing the front left caliper and new pads in the front. I should have done the right side as well - so I'll do that next. Still pulling slightly to the right under braking, but much better than it was. The left caliper piston was clearly stuck.

Greased up the front end components (they needed it!). Found a boot with a pin hole on one of the ball joints for the tie rod. Can I just replace that boot or do I need a new ball joint? I think it's called a ball joint ... screws into the end of the tie rod and connects it to the pitman arm.

image.thumb.jpeg.02d839ded570f8cc3a9af62fae2e4437.jpeg

• Like 4

Sticking with the stock 5x5 bolt pattern, I did a 17x8.5" wheel with 4.75" backspacing. There is also a 17x9" with 4.6" backspacing.

Tons of options on their site for other bolt patterns.

https://www.methodracewheels.com/products/701-matte-black

I ordered them through Performance Edge in Tantallon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, autumnwalker said:

Sticking with the stock 5x5 bolt pattern, I did a 17x8.5" wheel with 4.75" backspacing. There is also a 17x9" with 4.6" backspacing.

Tons of options on their site for other bolt patterns.

https://www.methodracewheels.com/products/701-matte-black

I ordered them through Performance Edge in Tantallon.

they look amazing...and I really really need to stop visiting that site LMAO

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Some more new junk on the way and acquired.

Decided to order some extended braided steel brake lines. The lines that were done with the lift from the previous owner are just the factory rubber lines "unhooked" from the frame. I thought some extended braided steel would be cleaner and safer. Should be here next week.

image.png.bc17c4e72f719818fc5d13d03d863de7.png

Next, Princess Auto has an air compressor on sale - it looks suspiciously like the ARB dual (and I'm sure way shitter components / build quality) but for $399 and with the Princess Auto return policy I figured I'd give it a go.

image.png.18bcc033f48e47aa4dc59ff399d8627f.png

And ... to see how close it is to the ARB compresor, I ordered an underhood ARB dual compressor mount. I figure I can modify the mount to fit the PA compressor and if / when the PA compressor fails I can get the ARB and use the mount for the intended purpose. No ETA on shipping yet.

image.thumb.png.ab9bacfbae996b87b3ef1b3106f3635b.png

I got the mount from our sponsor extremeterrain.com - they had one open box for $56!

• Like 2