• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport / Rubicon

autumnwalker

• 4 weeks later...

Wind took the door the other day and tore the fabric door limiting strap.

Ordered a couple replacements (will replace both) ... also ordered a fire extinguisher cage strap so I have somewhere to mount it.

Jeep doesn't have power windows or locks - thinking about just "deleting" the wire that goes between door and tub. I think it's just to tell the Jeep the door is open (on the dash) and to turn on the dome light when the door is open. AFAIK when you disconnect the wire on the JK it just triggers the dome light when the ignition is turned off for 30 seconds.

• Like 1

Truth! I'll never forget pulling into a parking lot and smelling smoke ... looked under the H2 and there was a stick stuck between the transfer case and skid plate that had ignited! I was able to pull it out / stomp it out, but that could have been real bad, real quick.

Also a lesson in checking your junk after being on the trail!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Was on the Go Anywhere Challenge (GAC) 2006(?).  Smoke started coming out from under the hood!  Jumped out and popped the hood (with care).  Transmission cooler line was on fire.  Used my fire extinguisher.

I had changed the old steel cooler lines to flexible hydraulic lines.  One of my two batteries wasn’t tied down properly.  It had fallen over against the radiator, with a battery post touching the rad.  The rad is mounted with rubber isolators against vibration.  The only path for the electricity was through the wire reinforcements in the transmission cooler hose.  Dead short.  Got hot quickly and ignited!

Tales of being on the trail!

I’ve since fastened the battery down much better!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/21/2020 at 12:37 PM, autumnwalker said:

Jeep doesn't have power windows or locks - thinking about just "deleting" the wire that goes between door and tub. I think it's just to tell the Jeep the door is open (on the dash) and to turn on the dome light when the door is open. AFAIK when you disconnect the wire on the JK it just triggers the dome light when the ignition is turned off for 30 seconds.

Should be able to just unplug the wire in the Jeep then get it fed into the door and add a grommet and done! Been a while since I had a Jeep though lol

• 2 weeks later...

Had a little poke around Ellershouse and Bowater yesterday. I don't have a mount for my phone so I didn't do GPS ... I also didn't think to take photos. Getting used to driving the Jeep now vs. what I was used to. First time airing it down and disconnecting the swaybar. I'm getting used to it.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Installed my father's day present - a Rugged Ridge Grille Insert.

Easy install - popped the grille off - it's six push pins on the top and six spring clips across the bottom. Drilled four holes in the back and top of the grille to mount, done. There was a bit of rust on the bottom of the core support so I scuffed it and gave it a 50/50 paint job.

IMG_0986.jpeg

IMG_0987.jpeg

IMG_0988.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Picked up one of these Warn Epic Sidewinder shackle / hook replacements for the winch yesterday at Princess Auto. They still had a tag on the shelf for $59.56 - even though the sale ended they gave it to me anyway.

0004230_epic-sidewinder-gunmetal-100635.

https://www.warn.com/100635-epic-sidewinder-gunmetal

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/gunmetal-epic-sidewinder/A-p8915910e

I'll get it on the Heep in the coming weeks to replace the rusty hook ... will clean up the front end a bit.

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

Before heading out on the trail last night I decided to do a quick diagnosis / repair on the Heep.

The right front turn signal bulb kept "burning out" (according to the Jeep computer / dash). When the Jeep was first started the turn signal would work for up to three "blinks" of the right turn signal and then would start doing a quick flash and indicate the RF bulb was out. Likely not an issue with the bulb.

I pulled the socket out and noticed that the contacts on the bulb were black - indication of arc / poor connection. I noticed that the bulb would "click" into the socket, but it was loose and would wobble indicating the contacts were loose.

I took a flat head screw driver and bent the contacts in towards themselves - shoved the bulb back in and it was perfect all evening!

On 4/16/2021 at 12:19 PM, autumnwalker said:

I took a flat head screw driver and bent the contacts in towards themselves - shoved the bulb back in and it was perfect all evening!

Something I do on bulb sockets on all my vehicles , is plug the socket full of dielectric grease, then stick the bulb into it, iv had to change alot of burnt out bulb sockets and pigtails, but never one iv " treated " to the grease , I think it helps cool the socket and wire contacts and prevents any corrosion too due to trapped moisture. 

• Like 1