• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

'82 Bullnose

SQRLPWR

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right tho, the lights on this thing are so bad I sometimes have to turn them off and back on to see if they're on lol.

I read there can be a voltage drop at the light due to age and wire size, and the fix is to add relays and thicker wire.

http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/headlight-wiring-harness.html

I want to keep it looking old school, so no LED enclosures this time.

I put headlight relays into both the Burb and Scout.  Simple 'plug and play' ones.  IIRC I bought them both through LMC truck.  Though you can get them other places.

The use of relays is safer, keeping the heavier current away from the old light switches in the cab, and delivering higher voltage (resulting in brighter lights) via shorter wiring and less connections, to the headlights.

Win/win.

But you already know that! lol

Removed some more unfused bare 12v wires from behind the gauges and put the dash and radio back. Just a little wire tidying left to do 🙂  Note the temporary reverse light switch cable.

One of the next jobs will be 2inch gauge replacement. They're all different....they all work, but have different coloured lights. Plus I prefer black faces.

20190724_153955.jpg

14 hours ago, jay said:

Checked the fuel filter and carb filter for blockage since it's running worse after I ran it out of gas the other day.

Both are clean.

Ouch.  I dislike those hard to diagnose issues!

6 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

Ouch.  I dislike those hard to diagnose issues!

Well I got it antiqued today and i almost didnt make it home..it had no power, was kangerooing and backfiring out of the exhaust.

Turns out the coil was on it's way out.

Luckily I had a spare MSD Blaster 2 from the carbed Zuk that I forgot to give Dave 🙂

So number one priority is replace plugs, wires, distributor cap & rotor.

It's still got a misfire under load, but at least it's driveable now 🙂

20190725_142925.jpg

20190725_143455.jpg

Jay, you should relocate your coil to an upright position, they are oil filled , and laying on its side could potentially create a hot spot in the coil windings inside shortening life span of the coil.

8 hours ago, Powerram said:

Jay, you should relocate your coil to an upright position, they are oil filled , and laying on its side could potentially create a hot spot in the coil windings inside shortening life span of the coil.

Thanks bud I'll do that 🙂

On 7/26/2019 at 10:30 PM, Powerram said:

I’m going to heed that as well.

And I hope I didn’t cut my new coil wire too short.....  Hard to splice those 8.8mm Accel wires....

Next on the list - stock gauge restoration.

• The fuel gauge goes from full to empty in 50kms LOL (only single tank)
  • The coolant temp and oil gauge are permanently 0
  • Charge always shows in the middle

I'll touch the fuel sender wire to ground to see if the needle moves, but in my mind the voltage regulator is pooched, so we'll see.

As I'm starting to get used to the truck, I'm noticing the wacky steering geometry with the big lift.

It pulls to the left a little so i made a rudimentary alignment jig to check and adjust it.

No doubt it needs a proper alignment / camber adjustment and/or a bushing somewhere,  but I'm not going to spend $ on the TTB as I'm going to SAS it ASAP.

20190806_115304.jpg

20190806_115318.jpg

20190806_115331.jpg

Archived