• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

'82 Bullnose

SQRLPWR

I’m living 4x4 by reading your folks’ posts these days.  I haven’t even got my Tow Hooks on yet!  
But all is good.  Yesterday we got her son and his gf moved out, the lawn cut, and got switched from Eastlink to Bell. Not just playing the switch-eroo game, recently there’s a signal problem on our street Eastlink hasn’t solved yet.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ovrlndr said:

You might have a bad joint or bushing making the clunk maybe?

I have to jack up the front end and re-validate the hubs and the ball joints. Whatever it is has gotten worse since my initial detection. At that time, nothing "obvious" was present when inspecting the balljoints, hubs, linkage, etc. Doesn't mean it hasn't loosened up though!

3 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

switched from Eastlink to Bell

Good call! Fibe internet has been hosting this site for the last several months ... I love it.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed the truck was sat crooked parked on the level. Seems the drivers side is lower and I can't see any breakages, and the mounts/body bushings are not bent or corroded.

Weird. IDK if it happened before or after Drill Road. So I'll pull out both coils to see what they look like, maybe swap them to see if the lean moves. I also cleaned up the yellow HD coils just in case I need to swap them out.

20200703_135801.jpg

20200703_135831.jpg

20200703_135842.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Had an hour to spare so I upgraded my washer/overflow bottle combo to a later aero nose style that I snagged waaaaay back when I was at Kenny's....one of those, that might be useful for a couple of bucks type of deals lol.

The Bullnose bottle is smaller, doesnt have a mount, the overflow pipe just fits loosely in the bottle and the lid wasnt sealing, so it was constantly empty.

I had to modify the bracket a little so the bottle slots into it, but another good excuse to play with the welder 🙂

oh, and I found the reason why my battery wasnt charging, and it wouldn't turn over....the clamp fell appart when I touched the cable lol

20200722_182047.jpg

20200722_182053.jpg

20200722_182103.jpg

20200722_185943.jpg

20200722_190015.jpg

Nice! Little upgrades like that make a huge difference in satisfaction and feeling good about the operation. Might be nothing to others but priceless for you. Another easy upgrade is the alternator from 2g 65a to the 3g130a. When I did the red Ford I used a Windstar application for the alternator, grabbed a pigtail from the junkyard and swapped the vgroove pulley from the old alt to the new Windstar alternator. 

I need to get to the bottom of the lean on the driver's side. I replaced the coils with the mystery spare set, and that helped little, but it's still down on one side. With the RC coils sat on the garage floor, I can see one is taller than the other by 1/2", one is banana shaped.

I know both front sides of my cab are down a little because of the door and fender gaps. it's not the body mounts as they measure the same all around. So I'll address that by pushing the 2 pivot mounts outbound to raise the cab mounts, and put a cross brace in.  But surely that isn't causing just one side to be down, and not by 1.5" ?

Maybe it's just time to bite the bullet and buy some new Skyjacker 186 Softride Coil Springs.

https://www.partsengine.ca/186-vp-skyjacker-70.aspx?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6uT4BRD5ARIsADwJQ18b89cf8RngdEWpNFP8nDQy4H-19capmBmPieExwXcgN-8SuU3IFlkaAk2XEALw_wcB

, is there a body lift in your truck, have they collapsed the rubbers or pulled one through so it is sitting improperly on the mount? Have to check and determine weather the frame/chassis causing the lean or if it is the body creating the lean.

• 2 weeks later...

Swapped out the fixed fan for a clutch fan. Was seriously thinking of going efan so I could turn it off in water, but extra wiring. 

Swapped the week single horn for a dual beep beep

Bought a fusebox/relay holder because I want to tidy up some of the accessory wiring.

20200807_121552.jpg

20200807_131533.jpg

I'm 50/50 on the look of the flares, but agree without proper prep they accelerate rust, and I hate them to wheel with as they are plastic and stick out begging for a branch to remove them, so probably best off removed. Next question, want to sell them?

Pulled the windshield out, cracked it as I put it on the floor 😞

Also cleared 4 fist fulls of vegetation from behind the duck bills. IDK what that contraption is for, but it sure likes to trap the leaves and moisture in the cowl. They are deleted for easier cleaning.

20200809_101722.jpg

20200809_101924.jpg

Archived