• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

'82 Bullnose

SQRLPWR

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got the bracket in place and bolted up. Still needs a ton more meat taking off it once I decide where the track bar will finish up.

I know there will be up travel limits as the track bar is sammiched between the pumpkin and engine crossmember, so I'll bolt 'er up and test on it. If it's still a problem I can add bump stops or build a TJ style track bar with a hump in it to go around the problem.

20200219_184813.jpg

Made final adjustments to the track bar bracket.

Everything is bolted back on, steering, brakes, brackets  track bar.

Just fluids, hubs and weld up the bungs on the drag link left to go 🙂

I'm not 100% happy with the track bar location behind the cross member,  so I have a plan B if there's too much interference 😉 But at least I can work on a plan B and wheel at the same time 🙂

IMG_20200222_181812_990.jpg

Went on the Pirate tour today which ended up being quiet a challenge in the icey conditions. 

There were 30 something jeeps, with Dave and I tagging along lol.

The SAS worked perfectly,  however the truck is still way too stiff and I actually don't think the rear axle moves at all.

Need to fix that!!!

20200229_121422.jpg

20200229_151709.jpg

20200229_110917.jpg

20200229_144822.jpg

Time for another to do list in no particular order....

Winch / front anchor points / bumper

Outboard lower coil buckets / add shims to stop bottom of coils sliding inboard

Replace steering intermediate shaft / fix slop in the shaft

Clearance exhaust from touching the front driveshaft

Asd some kind of traction aid

Install new gauges

Tackle front main seal

Replace leaky corroded rocker covers

Figure out what is going on with the axle gear ratios as they seem very different (binding on dry road / hard to keep straight on ice)

Loosen up the rear leaf pack

....think that's it for now lol

Not sure TBH. I thought I'd counted the front diff teeth when I had it apart and it was 3.50 (or 3.55 I can't remember), and the previous owner of the truck said the gears were 3.50, so I thought I was good.

I'll pop open the TTB and see what that is.

The rear should be 3.55 for the 8.8, but the front being out of the older trucks should be 3.50, which is ok , it keeps the truck tracking properly, but guessing the ttb will be inbetween 3.50 and 3.55 somewhere. Thats if your ratios are correct, but possible that you have an odd ratio somewhere if you never checked what was in there to start with

Archived