• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

'82 Bullnose

SQRLPWR

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started tearing down axle #3 with shredded gears for the knuckles, shafts and anything else I can take off for spare parts.

The radius arms came off with no heat thanks to antisieze 🙂

Interestingly this Bronco axle had quad shocks, so the C's have extra mounts for the front shocks....cool 🙂

The radius arms on this are dead straight too, which is in contrast to all of the other arms I've had, which all had some kind of kink to them. They must have been tweaked at some point in the last 40 years lol

Looks like if got 3 bolts to extract too lol ....all good 🙂

20191227_101608.jpg

20191227_101723.jpg

20191227_101621.jpg

Took a peak at Guy's gears from the donor. The case was dry and the gears stripped as expected. The housing is in awesome shape.

Once if removed a couple of broken bolts, Ill be at the point of reassembly. 

Just waiting on ujoints, tie rods and a lunchbox locker.

20191230_155051.jpg

20191230_155020.jpg

20191230_165657.jpg

20191230_165604.jpg

well I've no room to talk either.....

I noticed my battery is sat on the plastic inner fender, and with the few tours I've made, the inner fender has started to crack with the weight of the battery - so no more wheeling until I can install a proper battery tray!

I still maintain that the RAM is too pretty to wheel. Fire on some front tow hooks for good measure and I'm sure it would do it ... but I would destroy it in the process. The Sport model has the color matched plastic front bumper with the lower "ground effects" on it as well as the dual exit mufflers that hang down below the rear bumper. First hill obstacle and I'd lose the front bumper and rear tail pipes.

So ... mod the truck to swap to a more stout front bumper and do something to tuck the exhaust / mod the rear bumper ... why bother sinking all that time / effort / money into a rig that wasn't meant for trails? At least with the Hummers they were ready to go from the factory - great approach / departure angles and with a simple t-bar crank could stuff 35's (H3) and 38's (H2).

So ... buy a new truck. Well, this one costs me so little (0%, nearly paid off, etc.) that it hurts to get rid of it and otherwise, simply priorities (house projects, family time, etc.).

I think about the trails every single day. 

5 hours ago, ovrlndr said:

He's (re)building it to wheel it, so you best get the RAM geared up and come play 😉 

I'm very stoked to hear that Guy and the Bronco will be back out on the trails. Perhaps I can ride shotgun ... I'm not sure I have driver privileges anymore after I "remodeled" his front bumper against a tree 🙂

Axle U-joints and Spartan came in and hopefully the ties rods will follow shortly.

Removed 2 sheared off fasteners from the radius arms - 1 came out with heat and a bolt extractor, the other had to be drilled and I need to buy another tap as what I have is worn out.

20191231_152559.jpg

20191231_153928.jpg

20200103_082931.jpg

20200103_085701.jpg

1 step forward, 2 steps back.....

Replaced u joints on the axles. All good.

Broke a tap in a radius arm. I need to get it out as it's one of the better arms.

Went to install the Spartan, and it seems to be too big to fit in the carrier. I double checked the part number and it's correct.

20200104_172154.jpg

20200105_142432.jpg

20200105_140936.jpg

20200105_141450.jpg

Archived