• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Just visiting!

Frohman

G'day everyone,

Aussie here; I'm in and out of NS for a couple of weeks at a time with work, lovely place!

I'm a Patrol guy back home (Y61 GU4), and while moving about the place here I can't help but imagine how much fun it'd be to run some of the trails around here. So to sate my curiousity -- what does the law and regulations have to say about off-roading (in road licensed vehicles -- we too have specific rules for unregistered bikes and quads) for you guys?

This is mainly out of curiosity, of course. The land here looks fantastic and I doubt it would stay looking this fantastic if there weren't strict rules in place, but seeing some of the trails leading up and along the power lines (a common and well known place for people to start out over my way) I imagine they definitely get some use.

A lot of the track use my way is regulated by knowledge of the track's existence, and respect for the track and surrounding environment's quality. Well known, close-to-the-city spots typically get gated off because of dumping and other issues. Thankfully we definitely don't have a shortage of land -- and having tracks a little further out definitely helps to keep them in much better shape for everyone.

Cheers!

We're actually pretty lucky as we have pretty open land use laws. For the most part, if it's not gated or signed No Trespassing, you have access to it. 

I do have to say though, watching YouTube channels like 4WD Action really has me wanting to go explore Australia. Looks like you guys have some amazing places to explore!

Ah, that's great -- you'd definitely have a lot of variation to play with too then. Some rock, mud and cut up rutted trails, plenty of height variation so plenty of hill climbs of every variety! Oh, and you do have a whole other type of weather on us too.

But yeah plenty to do our way. Depending where you are, some nicer places are pushing what I'd consider a day trip's limit, but unrolling a swag for the night isn't too hard an ask.

Love 4WD Action, great magazine and great Youtube content. Lots of other great Youtubers too; Ronny Dahl, Intents Offroad, Aussie Four Wheelers and DASH Offroad (if you're interested in any Y62/Nissan Armada content).

Welcome to our side of the world! Have definitely been checking out some Aussie stuff and the terrain looks amazing! As said above as long as there is no gate or sign indicating no trespassing then its open for access. There is a section of land we call Bowater out by Tantallon (Town) that is great for roaming and exploring, some nice lakes and great woods areas there. Feel free to check for coffee nights and if available pop out and say g'day 😉

Archived