• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

ELI5: Solid Axle Swap (SAS) and Inspection / Registration

autumnwalker

Ok. I'm putting this question out there. I'm not sure if it's taboo or what, but someone explain like I'm five (ELI5) how we do solid axle swaps (SAS) and have the rigs inspected and registered for road.

• I hear there is some inspection required from a mysterious engineer in New Brunswick
  • I hear that it is not possible
  • I hear that you don't ask the question

What's the best (right?) way to go about SASing a rig and keeping it legit and blue plated?

1 hour ago, autumnwalker said:

Ok. I'm putting this question out there. I'm not sure if it's taboo or what, but someone explain like I'm five (ELI5) how we do solid axle swaps (SAS) and have the rigs inspected and registered for road.

• I hear there is some inspection required from a mysterious engineer in New Brunswick
  • I hear that it is not possible
  • I hear that you don't ask the question

What's the best (right?) way to go about SASing a rig and keeping it legit and blue plated?

The guy in newbrunswick doesn't do "jeep" stuff, like lifted trucks, cars, SUV etc, What he does is certify equipment , like on /off highway vehicles, like my topkick for example, if I wanted to install floatation tires on it( monster truck tires) he would have to certify that the brakes, frame, chassis, etc is all corospondant to the modifications, some farm trucks run those tires on their truck and see some limited pavement driving, 

In the inspection manual, anything modified from original configuration will "fail" is any ride height changes, emissions tampering, chassis alterations, etc, that said , it is also at the discretion of the inspecting mechanic. There is no hard line to follow, however there is a faded grey almost nonexistent line each mechanic can follow. Iv had cars passed from SHOP A, question it at SHOP B , and shop B wouldn't even look at it, All at discretion of the guy sighning the slip

20 hours ago, Powerram said:

The guy in newbrunswick doesn't do "jeep" stuff, like lifted trucks, cars, SUV etc, What he does is certify equipment , like on /off highway vehicles, like my topkick for example, if I wanted to install floatation tires on it( monster truck tires) he would have to certify that the brakes, frame, chassis, etc is all corospondant to the modifications, some farm trucks run those tires on their truck and see some limited pavement driving, 

Interesting. So putting big tires on a truck (farm truck, in your example) could get certified by the NB guy and be "street legal", but he does not do "Jeep stuff". Is that by choice? Where I'm going with this is - what if there were another "NB guy" who did do "Jeep stuff". Could we then mod it, get it inspected / certified, and be good to go?

20 hours ago, Powerram said:

In the inspection manual, anything modified from original configuration will "fail" is any ride height changes, emissions tampering, chassis alterations, etc, that said , it is also at the discretion of the inspecting mechanic. There is no hard line to follow, however there is a faded grey almost nonexistent line each mechanic can follow. Iv had cars passed from SHOP A, question it at SHOP B , and shop B wouldn't even look at it, All at discretion of the guy sighning the slip

So based on this the only option is SAS a rig and hope that you find a shop that will pass it ... and that that shop continues to pass it every two years?

20 minutes ago, Lil'monster said:

Yup just need an engineer willing to take responsibilty for our builds

That R word sounds like the issue ...

I assume people have tried to find an engineer willing in the past? There must be engineers locally that could do this.

There is a retired engineer in the car scene that is working diligently on/with/for the provincial MV Regulations.  Antique/custom, etc.  I get his e-mails.  Even though he is a ‘car’ guy, he is for properly modded vehicles of any type.  I’ll pass along anything I see that is pertinent.

Archived