• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

A SUB and a FORD

Powerram

Got 2 projects in the fire, one is mine , one is moms. Mom had acquired a Suburban, can't remember what year it is, doesn't run very well, needs some love. Came with a complete parts truck. Can't remember the year , late 90's. Plan for the sub is to SAS it using 1978 f250 d44 and leaf springs. 

IMG_20190501_074637.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Ford is mine, iv got a ton of ford stuff up here now, and a good Frame, WooHoo!! Going to assemble from the ground up, an F350 1994 power stroke,5 speed standard,  iv secured a D60 front, but haven't picked it up yet. The frame currently is ttb , also picked up a parts truck, 1980 vintage that came with the frame, There is another ford truck on this board that will benifit from it lol. Here is my f350 in the making

IMG_20190509_182336.jpg

1 hour ago, sar4x4 said:

So your mom is looking to wheel her ‘sas’ Suburban?  Or you?  Lol

Have fun with the builds!  I’m working in the garage today myself.

Mom doesn't let me drive her vehicles, especially off road, she has seen the ol ford HAha. She wants to wheel her suburban, not hard core, but some good ol wheeling and exploring. It needs some front end work anyway, so it works out , giving some lift and ruggedness at the same time. 

Going to pick up a box for the truck, all the stuff iv got here, I dont have a good box. Found a pretty good deal on one I think. I like my new Dodge, but its a pretty truck, the Ford will be rugged, robust and just AllTruck. Its set up with the PTO and wetline so it will run the Hyd Winches. 

went and picked up the box , it was rotten, however, it had Full replacement fiberglass box sides on it. Iv successfully removed one side , planning to remove the other tomorrow morning, I have a box that has no rust underneath, but the sides are a mess. That will work perfect for the donor box to put the glass sides on. 

MmsPicture_20190518080451.jpeg

Ordered new parts today, They finally make a new rad support for the 7.3 diesel trucks, they never did before till just recently, so new rad support coming, and also all new body mount bushings and hardware to install the cab and rad support. The cab I have is 98% not rusty, minor little spots to clean up, however , the front fenders and hood will be replaced in the future but are useable for now.

On 5/21/2019 at 8:08 AM, autumnwalker said:

Pizza cutters! Love it.

What size are the tires?

Tires are 8.25 r16 so basically 33" tall, but nice and skinny, very similar dimensions to a 255/85r16

Also picked up the Dana 60 front axle for this truck. Its a 92-97 ball joint d60, exactly the same axle that was in it previously. Has aftermarket superwinch locking hubs, and 4.10:1 gears. Matching the sterling 10.25 I have with 4.10:1 gears. 

Let the games begin,  picked up oxy-axtylene torches yesterday, going to pull the cab from my burnt wrecker to check the cab supports on the frame. Then finish prepping the frame I'm going to use in the swap. 

Got some done today, pulled cab supports, and rad support mounts from the burnt wrecker, they were still good, tom came over and grabbed some parts today, then I started dissembling the f350 front clip in preps for removing the cab, got lots done today, also pulled the rusted mounts off the good frame . lots more to take apart, but it is supposed to rain tomorrow. Progress is halted till after the rain

Some pics haha, I'm usally too involved to take progress pics. Today iv finished removing rad and rusty core support from the f350 , removed front fenders, just prepping to remove inner fenders now, and support the wiring and bits on the engine. Also have cab mount bolts all snipped off, man I love having torches,  so cab is just sitting there, still have to remove trans shifters from inside before pulling the frame from under the cab. Going to pull the frame with engine, trans and t-case all intact, then lift the combo as one and set it into its new frame. During the whole build I have been dealing with a massive yard clean up, iv hauled 9 vehicles out of here, and been doing yard work and bits of yard clean up too. My neighbours must be happy now lol. Been in close contact with west hants enforcement and they have been positively working with me on the matter. So progress has been slow, but everything is coming along nicely. Here is new rad support, and the D60 front

IMG_20190603_100046.jpg

IMG_20190603_104119.jpg

IMG_20190603_104025.jpg

9 hours ago, autumnwalker said:

I had no idea you had that many vehicles on your property! Forget Kijiji for a trail rig - I might just pop out to your place! 😆

Not only is there vehicles here, but I have what I call my corner of dreams, with hard to find parts. The vehicles that are remaining here will soon be dismantled and put in Inventory, the rest hauled for scrap, there is still a pile of trucks here. I dont have anything complete, or worthwhile building a rig out of, mostly parts and pieces. 

Well, this was a crazy turn of events, got some work done on the frame yesterday, cab supports, and rad support mounts are bolted in, rear axle and springs are in, then was helping working at toms and I broke a screwdriver, but dont worry, Tom tried to catch it with his teeth, that didnt go too well, I  sold my 2018 Ram yesterday, so now iv purchased another older truck to haul the FAM. Its a life sized tank, 1995 F350 4x4 Crew cab. Its pretty solid, fugly and not driving, it has a transmission issue, ' so the price was right,    Also it has a 351w and auto trans. I think I. Going to install a zf5 speed into it for now to make it drive. 

IMG_20190610_060022.jpg

16 minutes ago, autumnwalker said:

Holy cow ... I thought you loved the RAM! What made you sell it?

I love it, and hate it, its no where near the  caliber truck my old Cummins trucks were, I'm going to break it, even the big cast iron tow hooks on the front are only for looks, they are bolted to the stamped steel bumper brackets, not the frame, I hooked a strap to a disabled truck in my yard, took the slack up, then went to pull it back, distorted the entire front of the truck, had to disassemble the bumper, grille, brackets, tow hooks, to tweak it all back. Its a nice pretty highway hauler, not ment to do what I do. So new ford crewcab will fit the FAM, also has a 8' bed, miss that on the dodge. And will be rugged and able to handle what I throw at it, and if I miss, no worries, a little rattle can treatment will fix er right up. Last pic of the ram from the weekend

16 minutes ago, autumnwalker said:

@TomWood going to need some dental work now bud?

Yep he will.

IMG_20190608_111050.jpg

2 hours ago, autumnwalker said:

Tom going to need some dental work now bud?

Too bad you don't do FB (or maybe not!).  Good pic of him on there yesterday.  Tom didn't mention anyone else's involvement though!  And I was teasing him about not working safely!

And Tom doesn't like dentists...........

2 hours ago, Powerram said:

And will be rugged and able to handle what I throw at it, and if I miss, no worries, a little rattle can treatment will fix er right up. Last pic of the ram from the weekend

This. I think about this a lot. I don't do much "throwing at it" that would do damage, but I'm also aware that I should gently toss because I don't want to get into rattle can fixes.

35 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

Too bad you don't do FB (or maybe not!).

I think about turning it back on, but it's been pretty liberating not having it.

6 hours ago, autumnwalker said:

This. I think about this a lot. I don't do much "throwing at it" that would do damage, but I'm also aware that I should gently toss because I don't want to get into rattle can fixes.

I generally dont throw stuff at it either, but sometimes have no choice to load over the side, like if the trailer is hooked up, just too pretty, always concerned with watch the paint, has a dark metallic almost black but not black,  the tow hook issue really upset me, I love my trucks , and usally keep my road trucks in tip top shape, but they show wear over time, and I use em,  The last one had 660xxx kms and still looked good, spray paint touchups and a bit of wet sand/polish, solid colours, never tell there were issues. It was white, the other cummins truck, used just as hard, had around 450xxx, solid colour too, it was black, received the same touchups and wet sand/polish, could not see the repairs.  Just want to not have to be " dont lean on my truck" or some shrubbery rubs along the bottom of the doors, just want a rugged ol truck that is all "TRUCK" No electronic gizmos, crank windows, push down door locks. 

6 hours ago, autumnwalker said:

I think about turning it back on, but it's been pretty liberating not having it.

Better without it.

So the plan in action is to get the crew cab on the road asap, it needs rad support, front bumper, minor welding on driver cab sill, some brake lines, and swapped over to standard transmission, possibly driveshaft length changed, and a couple ribs fixed in the box. That should have it on the road. Its showing 245xxx kms on the clock, interior is usable with cloth seats, headliner is nfg, not sure if I can repair it or make a new one. Leaving the bench seat in front so my hunnie can ride next to me.

Upgrades and modifications plans include, tinted rear windows, maybe some loud mufflers, some rattle can paint job, and bigger tires, the tires will be 315-75r16, which I already have. Thinking olive drab green on this truck

Archived